Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Extra wide flannel from joann's

Extra wide flannel from joann's

Has anyone bought or used the wide backing flannel from Joann's? It's on sale but I know some of their flannel is lower quality than I would want for a backing... any info is appreciated!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I have made two good sized quilts using Joann's extra wide flannel. I'm one of those who does not prewash. I used my longarm to quilt, threw them in the washer and the dryer and there was some shrinkage (a look that I really like) but not enough to distort the quilt. It is not a great quality flannel but I felt it was good enough. Both quilts were for family members and very much appreciated so they will get used. I have since bought 3 yards in several colors so that I'm good to go on future quilts. It is such a treat not having to piece the backs.

I have not used Joann's - but I watch Amazon for their flannel sheets.

I don't know if its top quality flannel, but its more than good enough for me.

I recently purchased a california king size flannel sheet set for $25. That is a lot of flannel that I got. Will be for a couple of quilt backings

Very first king sized quilt I made I used the wide flannel from Joann's but the quality was better 25 years ago.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    Honestly, I’ve seen some pretty awful wide backs sold in Quilt Shops. I cringe when I see customers bring me that stuff. Sometimes, it’s even in the piecing.
    Blessings,
    -Robin

https://quiltedorchid.com

I have used it several times -- especially like it for quilts to be donated to nursing homes. Good enough quality for me to use....

I went to order the wide flannel to try it out. I was surprised to find I could only order it in 1 yard increments. I need 2 yards and 4". I am not about to buy 3 yards when so much of it would be left over.
    Back to piecing backs. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    I have used it. Some is better quality than others. I give it the feel test. If I don't like the feel I don't buy it.