Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric is addicting!

Fabric is addicting!

There should be a fabrics anonymous support group for people like me. I spent way too much money on fabric this month. I'm in shock after looking at my credit card statement!

My problem is that I have several UFOs because I'll go shopping for fabric before I finish a project, then I'll get other ideas for the new fabric and will start on the next project as soon as I get my new fabric home.

Am I the only one who has this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by omegajune View Post
    There should be a fabrics anonymous support group for people like me. I spent way too much money on fabric this month. I'm in shock after looking at my credit card statement!

My problem is that I have several UFOs because I'll go shopping for fabric before I finish a project, then I'll get other ideas for the new fabric and will start on the next project as soon as I get my new fabric home.

Haha!! It's called 'Quilters Disease' and I think you will find 95% on this board have it!!!!! Welcome to the club!!!!!
    Hilary

Yep, welcome to the group. I don't keep track.lol
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

it's a problem that we pretend we don't have and will actually deny it. just call us closet fabriholics.

The trouble with forming a group like fabriholics anonymous is that no one would want to join. I figure it's still cheaper than therapy (of course it's probably getting pretty close) but it is alot more fun. Maybe we should make those fabric companies put a warning - may become habit forming.

Problem? What problem?
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Blog Entries
    Gee, I thought this was the FabricHolics Support Group.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Just don't get caught driving while "fabric feeling".

I'm not only a fabricHolic, I'm running out of room!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

When you feel the need to start hiding your stash this is a good video to watch . This cracks me up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKiiO...eature=related
    ~~Cathy~~

Im a newbie to quilting and I swore when I started I would not have a stash. However, that has gone out the window and I now have a small stash. I do finish projects before starting another, but make sure to organize the fabric and pattern together so I know what I bought each fabric for.

OMG, I can't even go into the fabric store anymore. I tell myself I will "just look" - yeah, right, like that ever happens. So I don't go until there is a member's sale where I can get 50% off (almost) everything in the store. It happens several times a year. Fortunately, the fabric stores are not in my neighbourhood so I have to make a specific trip to get to one - no drive bys.

Now the internet - that's another story. I have to try and do the same thing: don't even go on fabric.com or quiltfabriccloseouts.com, because there is always something on sale that cries out to be in my stash. I do keep track of what I spend monthy (for everything, not just hobbies - utilities, food, dog, etc.) and over the past couple of months it's been, ahem, a lot. I keep telling myself that once my sewing room is finished, I will be able to see all my fabric and won't be so tempted to buy more. The theory being that since it is all packed up in bins I can't see what I have and therefore it's OK to buy more...out of sight, out of mind.

There was one month last summer when I was working on vacation scrapbooks that I spent $1,000 on scrapbooking supplies. Yikes! So now I can't even go to Michaels' to "just look". It's like chocolate and potato chips: if I don't have it in the house, I won't be tempted.

It's an addiction, that's for sure. :-)
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Two years ago I had 2 kits and not enough fabric to make a quilt. Today I have so much fabric that I have two dressers (one is taller than me), a storage closet, a tall bookcase, 5 huge rubbermaid tubs, 20 containers, etc., all full of fabric and kits. I have two long tables that my 72 inch cutting board and supplies sit on and underneath is full of fabric also. And then there's all the thread. Oh, all the thread, yummm! And don't forget the notions and gadgets. I think I have every gadget and notion I've come across. I can never pass up a new gadget. So, you're not alone by a long shot. We all have our fabric addictions. I do online shopping and if my husband is home when the mail comes, I take my packages and run to my rig and throw them in the back and hide them there until it's safe to bring them inside. Boy, when he gets to the mailbox first, do I hear about it. He doesn't understand that I found a great sale, or a new fabric line came out, or ohhhh, a new gadget came along.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I'm still a beginner quilter but I'm showing signs of this addiction, LOL!

Now I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one! I just started quilting last month! I already had a little bit of a stash because I did some garment sewing every now and then. Now that I discovered quilting, I have two new sewing machines (a Walmart cheapy that has some cool stitches, and a Brother PQ1500S for quilting), two bins full of fabric, and 5 UFOs so far. I really want to finish my UFOs before I go shopping again, but it's so hard to resist, especially when I have a coupon!

unfortunately this FA group is more of enablers than stoppers. hehe its okay to have fabric as long as your bills get paid and you can eat and have power and water to your house. the phone can be shut off and the same with the tv because those are all dstractions that take time and money from quilting. :-)
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I think the most telling indicator of our addiction was when a quilter hoarder went on the Hoarders program and we were all excited to see what her stash looked like. Most of us agreed it wasn't that much of a problem, just needed a little organizing. By the by everyone, Fabric.com is having a good sale.

Remember that episode of Star Trek with the tribbles?
    I want to go to sleep one night with all my fabric in a pile and wake up with it multiplied exponentially.
    Never enough pretties.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

You are not alone. I quit buying, every Monday, just like starting a diet. LOL
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I either a fabricolic or my house and check book are to small.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

OMG I have to slow down buying Fabric, I'm out of room until the new studio is built. And even it may not be big enought for all my fabric and machines. NO FA club for me though, I just know that 12 out of the 10 steps I wouldn't be able to do. ROFLMAO
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

And did you know 'scraps' breed during the hours of darkness??????
    Hilary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Yep, welcome to the group. I don't keep track.lol
    Yes, Ignorance is Bliss! I too choose not to do any formal tracking of my fabric purchases.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I am a fabriholic and my hubby is an enabler!
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajune View Post
    It's a Problem??? LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast