Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric bleeding >

Fabric bleeding

Fabric bleeding

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM

I actually "set" my reds in salt water. I don't use hot water though, I just use warm or cool (tap) water. I allow to soak for a few hours, then wash normally. I wear a lot of red and use a lot of red fabric and even embroider with red or dark thread so this is all I do with any thing red, be it clothes or fabric.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Here's another for what it's worth. My first large quilt (queen size) had red borders. I tested the fabric in just a glass of hot water, letting it sit for a while, then put in a piece of all-white paper towel. If the fabric bled (which this one did), I used a dye fixative, which I purchased from Rit Dye. You probably won't find it in any store -- I didn't. Had to order it off their website. They ship it Federal Express Ground. I just ordered three more bottles, and the shipping and product cost about $22. I don't have any ownership or interest in Rit Dye -- it's just a product I use. At any rate, after I used the product, I tested the fabric again. The all-white paper towel stayed all white!

Just a "for what it's worth".

Jeanette Frantz
Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I actually "set" my reds in salt water. I don't use hot water though, I just use warm or cool (tap) water. I allow to soak for a few hours, then wash normally. I wear a lot of red and use a lot of red fabric and even embroider with red or dark thread so this is all I do with any thing red, be it clothes or fabric.
You've been lucky. Salt does absolutely nothing to set dyes. It is the washing that rids your reds of loose dyes, not the salt.

The very best information on the issue of bleeding fabrics I have ever seen is found here.
http://askville.amazon.com/stop-towe...uestId=9274753
It covers Synthrapol, Retayne, dye magnets (e.g., Color Catchers), salt, vinegar, and plain water. Bookmark it!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You've been lucky. Salt does absolutely nothing to set dyes. It is the washing that rids your reds of loose dyes, not the salt.

The very best information on the issue of bleeding fabrics I have ever seen is found here.
It covers Synthrapol, Retayne, dye magnets (e.g., Color Catchers), salt, vinegar, and plain water. Bookmark it!
Interesting- - -
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM

you can also put 1/4 cup white vinegar in the water and it will set the color
Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
you can also put 1/4 cup white vinegar in the water and it will set the color
Vinegar only works on acid dye...and that's only used on silk, wool and nylon. Acid dyes are never used on cotton anymore.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM

I gotta member to look for that color catcher stuff.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

Great information, ghostrider! Thank you so much. And good to know that you can't find it in grocery stores.

I guess I'll be ordering some online!