Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric blends for decorative quilts? Need Advice. >

Fabric blends for decorative quilts? Need Advice.

Fabric blends for decorative quilts? Need Advice.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Question Fabric blends for decorative quilts? Need Advice.

Hello, I am a novice quilter and have learned so much from all the posts from so many knowledgeable quilters and seamstresses on this board! You are so generous and such fun..it makes my day!

I promised my middle-aged kids that I would sort my fabrics (sooo many decisions!) and donate to a worthy cause. None of my daughters still sew (they did when younger) only my daughter-in-law, who quilts with cottons. I used to sew many garments for myself and family, but not so much now. I have some lovely fabrics that have some poly in them and also, some that have a soft hand, but would look nice in a wall hanging. It seems that most folks use cotton fabric for quilting. Could an iron-on interfacing (light weight) be fused to the back of these fabrics to give them body, then use for piecing? Like crazy quilting that used satin and other fine fabrics. I would really appreciate all suggestions and information about what has worked for your creations. Can you tell I'm having trouble parting with some of my pieces? I am parting with about half of my stash (but NO quilting cottons..I'm drawing the line there!). Thank you all so much for your help. Shirley
Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

There is always Linus Project so you could probably find a local group where you live. I was taught many decades ago to use the best quality of fabric and batting that I can afford for quilts for anyone and to me, that includes charity quilts. Warm Wishes is such an easy quilt to put together. It is a free pattern on the internet. Have fun !!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:03 AM

I know most quilters only use cottons, but I use what ever I like. So did my mother. We also made our clothing and what was left went into a quilt. I use a lot of blends that I received from a sewing factory that made comforters, dust ruffels and draped. The brand name was Springs. I'm sure most of you are familer with that brand. All the quilters in my family uses this material. I say if you like it use it. And no, if you put blends into a crazy quilt, it does not need to be backed with anything.