Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric and Broken shoulder >

Fabric and Broken shoulder

Fabric and Broken shoulder

Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 PM

I know someone purchased this fabric recently off the board. There were one piece in two different groupings for sale, but I missed them. If you bought it, I sure could use 8" width of fabric. Will pay for it and send you something too. I am really desperate.

Now that that my beg is out of the way, I broke my shoulder Aug 9th. I am bored stiff and so grateful that I have this board to pass the time a bit. Over the weekend, I realized I could use my fingers a little without great pain as I keep the upper arm next to my body I did realize for short periods of time, I could type and sew short pieces of fabric together. I pulled out some scrap strips and took my scissors and snipped about 5-5.5 inches off all different widths up to 2". There was a tute on here recently. I can actually hold the fabric with my left hand for short pieces and run them thru the machine. Whoopeeeeeee! I can only sew for about 20 minutes and I can do that a couple of times a day without too much increased pain. I have managed to sew almost 3 strips together. It was wonderful to do something besides read..don't watch much TV..wish I did, it might help pass the time. I cannot cut with a rotary at all. so once i finish these strips, I will have to stop and find another project using strip scraps. I saw one on quiltville.com called legos. I am thinking I might try it using 2 or 2.5 scrappy strips instead of 1.5 like she used. I will have used most of those I have on the quilt I am working on now. I had surgery on my left surgery 9 months ago so neither arm is good...but I am hanging in their putting scraps of my life back together. Doesn't that sound dramatic? Any suggestions for another scrap strip project that can be cut from scissors would be welcome. Pm me if you don't want to take up space on the board.

And someday, I hope to sew the last two strips on the 10 minute block quilt that I came up short on the border. If I don't find the fabric, I will just start ripping when the arm gets better. A picture is below.

Thanks for letting me whine to you guys...sorry I did not have cheese. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249382.jpe  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Good luck with the shoulder healing!!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks. I am trying to think I am blessed because if the break had gone another 1/4 inch, it would have come all the way apartand it would be another surgery with pins and probably another 18 mo. for healing like my left arm. I am blessed...I am blessed...I am blessed...sometimes I just forget I am blessed.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 PM

pm me and I will get some strips for you to do. I am in the process of getting two or three boxes for some other ladies so I might as well line up another. I never got to the one in England. would have cost so much money to send.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Oh you poor thing, hope your recover quickly.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM

don't push things please. every time i do i end up going 2 steps back. be well, you'll be sewing again soon.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your shoulder.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Best of healing for your shoulder! What a nasty break. :cry:

Jan in VA
Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Don't over do it!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 AM

So sorry to read of you troubles. hope you get back up to speed soon.