Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥ >

♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥

♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥

Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I work in the Electronics department at Wal-Mart. One day we got this PDQ display of Nintendo DS Lites. The display itself was basically two shelves with little cubbie holes---entirely made out of cardboard. We didn't have room for the display so I was given the task of removing all the DS's and breaking down the display. Instead of completely breaking it down I swiped half of it and used it for my fabric.

A couple weeks ago another display got brought down. This one had the cubbie holes, but it was smaller and the cubbie holes weren't quite as deep. It had plastic hooks on them to hang up card packs. I am currently collecting fabrics for 8 stained glass wallhangings and thought I could use this to organize my fabrics for the 6 main ones. So I swiped that display, put my wallhanging fabrics into plastic bags, and hung the bags up on the hooks (giving each wallhanging its own hook).

Also, I labeled those fabrics with sticky notes. I put down the name of the wallhanging, the color the fabric was for, and the fabric's maker and manufacture number (ex. NABOORU Color 12 Moda Marble 9881-91) At Wal-Mart they have a whole bin of them for the Back-To-School stuff. They had six different colors, which was great because my wallhangings are themed around a certain color. So I could color code my fabrics and know what wallhanging they were for just by looking at the color of the sticky note.

(I'll try to get pictures later)
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSCN0131.jpg[/IMG]
Nintendo DS shelving unit. Sorry its a mess...I did have it better organized before I started taking out all my greens for prewashing and all of my wallhanging fabrics to the other display unit.

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSCN0132.jpg[/IMG]
Smaller display unit for stained glass wallhanging fabric. Not sure if its hard to read, but I wrote the name of the wallhanging (or more specifically the character in the wallhanging) above each cubbie hole.

Yes, that IS a box of Raisin Bran. You know how some people live out of their car? Well, I live out of my bedroom (eat, sleep, entertain myself, quilt, etc). I tend to keep some of my non-refrigerated boxed food in my room as my family has a tendency of eating my food (labels or "special spots" do not deteer them). lol.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 AM

Great idea!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 AM

I am trying to organize stash , so I have found the three plastic drawers with wheels, at wal mart , which were on sale last year. Had another set, and found a couple that had a missing drawer. I also got some empty tubs, which yarn was stored, the yarn was taken to a place the ladies crochet for the hospital and nursing homes. I have 3 tubs to put my larger fabric in.

I have made up my mind to organize the fabric and put my sewing room in some sort of order(HUH???) am I kidding myself? well I am going to give it a try anyway. and when I do get through I will send a picture of my "organized" sewing room.

and as for lovetooquilt, yeah that looks like mine at this time. remember a clean room means a broken sewing machine.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 AM

Sorry, but I can't put my material in open shelves, my husband will see how much fabric I have!!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

Nice ideas.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 AM

At Lowe's??? Is that what they are called - "cubies". I keep buying fabric and my husband asks me when am I going to start sewing.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 AM

I have one question. The pictures of all these wonderful "cubes" with fabric make me drool for sure. Everything is folded so neatly and so organized. However, what to you do with your scraps. I don't know of any quilter that doesn't have them - yet they never show up in these type of pictures.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 AM

i use scrapbooking containers to store all of my fabric. here is a link to my youtube video i posted and some pictures of my sewing room.

http://youtu.be/NNWZiS-VgFQ

enjoy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236129.jpe   attachment-236130.jpe   attachment-236131.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Swap Hosts

Here's my "studio" in tidier days ... there are now two more machines in here and a whole lot more fabric. I also do statuary repair and so there are quite a few sitting on the shelves as well.

My computer between the two machines I use most often
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236138[/ATTACH]

A small portion of the lace I work with
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236139[/ATTACH]

My plain work-a-day machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236140[/ATTACH]

My embroidery machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236141[/ATTACH]

Printer that never seems to get cleaned off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236142[/ATTACH]

Drawers and boxes with current quilting project bits and the corner is jammed with 16 qt bins of fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236143[/ATTACH]

More drawers with pre-cut lace for veils I'm working on. File cabinet to the left and long boxes of thread on top of each
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236144[/ATTACH]

More shelves of fabric bins ... a tiny portion
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236132.jpe   attachment-236133.jpe   attachment-236134.jpe   attachment-236135.jpe   attachment-236136.jpe  

attachment-236137.jpe   attachment-236138.jpe   attachment-236139.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
This thread would be incomplete without this video "tutorial". :-D http://youtu.be/OKiiOH5oJfs
I can relate!