Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric.com is shutting down. >

Fabric.com is shutting down.

Fabric.com is shutting down.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:41 PM

WHAAAAAT???!!! Oh, I hate to hear this! I love fabric.com. I wonder if any fabric will still be offered on Amazon, or will that be gone too? I mean will there be no fabric sold on Amazon anymore . . . I expect Amazon itself will be around for a long time.

Last edited by Synnove; 10-20-2022 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Needed to add a bit more explanation.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Think of all the employees out of jobs... very sad.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:22 PM

Yeah, I like it when they are paid living wages too. For one thing, they generally stick around a bit longer, so they actually know something about what they are doing. It is usually chaos at a shop where only minimum wages are paid as there is constant turn over as the workers leave as soon as they can find a better job. I don't think a lot of employers, especially smaller employers' figure in the amount of time it takes to constantly train new workers in and then have them leave in short period of time. I have a fairly big stash of fabric that I paid $6-8 a yard while I was working and it was good quality stuff, so I am not really buying much fabric now at all other than if I need something special or if I really think I need a treat of a fat quarter or something on sale. We have lost about 1/2 of our quilt shops in the past few years. We did have one long arm dealer start to add fabric to her shop to fill in the void

Last edited by sewingpup; 10-20-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:58 AM

I will miss fabric.com. Ordered a lot from them.
It seems like the whole world is going crazy for one reason or another. Me? I just keep sewing. Even if I never bought another yard of fabric, I have enough to last another 50 years or quilting.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:25 AM

Say it ain't so! I've never had a bad experience with them. Love the ease of their website. Another site could benefit from a referral from them. I'd check out a site they endorsed! Better go check what's in my Cart.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:05 AM

My first email was from Fabric dot com.

As of October 20, 2022, we are no longer selling products on fabric.com. Amazon.com continues to offer more than a million fabrics and sewing supplies, and we encourage you to explore the Amazon fabric shop to meet your creative needs.

We will continue to process all orders and transactions placed on or before October 20, 2022. If you have additional questions please view our
frequently asked questions page or contact our customer service for more information.

Thank you so much for supporting our business over the years. We appreciate the role we played in bringing your creations to life, and wish you the best as you continue to make this world a more beautiful place with your handmade designs!

Old 10-21-2022, 07:20 AM

I got the same email this morning.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:33 AM

Wow they certainly did not give any notice at all. I wonder if this is going to be the new norm now with inflation and labor issues, just a few hours notice and DONE.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:41 AM

Since Amazon owns this it sounds like it is just folded into Amazon. You will probably be able to buy all those fabrics there. It's frustrating to hear people complain about the minimum wage going up; you know, so people can make it on one job. Then in the same breath complain about quality and shipping issues from companies overseas. You can't have it both ways.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:50 AM

Default Not a surprise

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That's so sad. I've often found just what I wanted at fabric.com. Sadly, when minimum wage goes up, it drives all the other wages up and makes it very hard for businesses to be competitive.
In the fall of 2010, I placed my first order at Fabric.com, when it was privately owned. I loved the "Stephen's Scrap Bags" and found sales of great quilt fabric cut to order. Loved when I got "JACKPOT end of the bolt", especially when it was a wide backing. Then Amazon bought it. Gone were the scrap bags and personal service but the JACKPOT bonus stayed the same. I wasn't surprised when I saw the announcement. Wages/benefits, energy costs and other overhead are driving closings of businesses or the cost up. Only time will tell if Amazon continues to sell quilt fabric.