Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Cutters >

Fabric Cutters

Fabric Cutters

Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Love the accuquilt go. I bought one die and it came with another. The die it came with has 3 different shapes. I don't like that die. I would just be very selective about which dies I got. I plan to get the drunkards path die soon!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM

I consider buying the AccuQuiltGo as one of my best decisions. It is not only accurate but it is also a real time saver!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM

I have the AccuQuiltGo and so far have not used it much. But that is because I have been trying to finish up UFO's since I got it. But have the June Taylor shape cutter and used that for cutting the binding and squares. My June Taylor is only 12 inches by 12 inches - but works wonderful. I bought it at Wallmart - it was on clearance so thought why not. And it worked out to be a very important part of my tools.

As for the AccuQuiltGo - I do buy the dyes as I see them on sale and know that I will use them, like the various strips and some shapes like the hexagon and tumblers.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM

I got the accuquilt Go when Joann's had it on sale for $199. Of course,the stores in my area were out of stock,so got online with free shipping. Today they had 25% off dies and I had gift card, plus they did use my 10% AQS card. Anyway got the 2 1/2" strip die which I am excited about because after all my many rotary cutting years I still get that "bend" so this way hope for no bend. Ive only been playing with my new Go but so far really like it!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM

I have arthritis and using the Go isn't an option as I can't even get the hand crank to turn.

I have the Alto's QuiltCut2 and use it so often it almost lives on my cutting table. Yes it only does straight cuts, but at the different angles it is very versatile.

I have an old Third Hand. This was essentially a C style clamp and a rotating cutting board together. The clamp centered whatever template I wanted to cut, while I cut the template turning the mat. Since I found the local plastics company to cut any template I want, I can do curve cutting just great! Though, due to the arthritis I can only cut 2-4 layers of material at a time. Not sure it is made anymore, but got it from a Mr Quilt online years ago.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
So far I haven't found anything I can't do with a rotary cutter and scissors. I used to drool over the Altos, but now not so much.
True, rotary cutters have been a blessing for quilters, but now there are a few things that are there to make things a little easier or faster, if one chooses to use them. I have the GO and I really am glad I decided to buy it. Each of us decide what works best for us
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Here is what I am looking at to purchase: http://www.quiltcut.com/ I have read nearly 100% positive reviews...only negative is some people don't have the space for it...
I know most people go for the accuquilt go or Studio....but I do mostly straight cuts and didn't want to continually purchase dies for it. So, even though it's pricey, this one will serve my needs the best. Just another option for you.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 AM

I have a friend who has the quiltcut. It's a little big and bulky, it works best if you have a permenant home for it. I love it for strip cutting. It's much cheaper then the Go. The Go is great for pieces that have rounded edges and aplique. I love the large drunkards path on the Go.

I think it really boils down to what type of quilting you do, how many you make and finances.