Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric for design wall??

Fabric for design wall??

I am getting closer to my new sewing room being finished, AT LAST, and I will have a design wall, 7x8. So, my question is, what fabric do you have on your design wall? My thought is white flannel, but before I buy it, I want some advice, which is always so great, from quilters on this board. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

My design wall is 6ft by 6 ft. We covered the core board with a thick batting and then used a tan or creme colored flannel but that is the color that went well with my sewing room. Now that it is said and done glad I went with that color cause when I put something up on the wall if it had been a brighter color may have shown thru the blocks. I like it.

Hubby used big washers about big as a fifty cent piece behind the screws that hold the board on the wall to keep the screws from working thru the core board. He found creme colored spray paint that matches perfect and sprayed the washers so they blended with the hardware that keeps the board on the wall. Then he punched a hole the size of the screw head in a piece of paper and spray painted the head of the screw thru it after he had it all up on the wall. So ALL the hardware matches the design wall. Just sharing a few tips.

Corry
    Corry

Take a look look under the Mission: Organization section. We posted a boatload of ideas for design walls - everything from flannel to quilt batting, curtain style to roller style to removeable.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I like felt -- it priced out cheaper than flannel for me, and it comes wide enough that I didn't have to seam it for my design wall.
    RST

Mine is 8'x8' and covered in 100 cotton. It's insulation board so I can use pins and not worry about anything blowing off with a fan or dogs walking by.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t169525.html

I use white flannel. I recently replaced the flannel with white felt, I find that the felt doesn't hold your fabric as well as the flannel does.

Blog Entries
    I recently had an 'ah ha' moment. I was using my design wall as the backing to adhesive spray my quilt sandwich. It dawned on me that I could use the adhesive spray to MAKE my design wall sticky, too. I did, and anything I put on it sticks, and I can re-place blocks and pieces to my hear'ts content. Spray adhesive lasts a LONG time. And if/when it doesn't work, I can re-spray.

Blog Entries
    Cream colored fleece. It works like a charm. Only my Border Collie's tail dislodges blocks. Fleece is very grabby and will hold a full quilt without pins.

MY design wall is covered in warm and white batting and works great.

What a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    I recently had an 'ah ha' moment. I was using my design wall as the backing to adhesive spray my quilt sandwich. It dawned on me that I could use the adhesive spray to MAKE my design wall sticky, too. I did, and anything I put on it sticks, and I can re-place blocks and pieces to my hear'ts content. Spray adhesive lasts a LONG time. And if/when it doesn't work, I can re-spray.

I have a design wall that is queen sized and used warm and white. I love it and my friends say its like rotating art and are always asking me what I have up.

I used a very soft white flannel and I absolutely love it for the price I bought it at JAF Black Friday sale many years ago !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I used a medium gray flannel which I purchased at Joanns.

I didn't want a color to reflect and white was too strong.
    Wishing everyone a joyous and healthy holiday season.

Peg

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    That is a fabulous idea.

I used the back of am old plastic tablecloth that was backed with flannel - temperary - but works

I used car headlinner from joanns....It is sponggie and works great for placing fabric with or with out pins....I stapled it on a 4x8 sheet of 3/8" thick plywood
    Buzzy Bee

Quote Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs View Post
    Mine is 8'x8' and covered in 100 cotton. It's insulation board so I can use pins and not worry about anything blowing off with a fan or dogs walking by.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t169525.html

My design wall, also 8' x 8', is also insulation board for the same reasons you cite, but it's covered in 2" gridded flannel.

love my cream colored flannel
    katz

my design wall is 96"x96" - insulation board mounted directly to the wall - gridded flannel affixed to the insulation board with a slightly diluted Elmer's Glue type thing (so as not to "eat" the foam insulation). Yes, there is a seam down the center but I stitched it perfectly. The gridded lines help with placement of blocks when I am rearranging blocks - I don't have to reposition the first layout blocks nearly as much as I did without the lines.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Blog Entries
    Right now I am using a flannel backed tablecloth, until I can come up with something more permanent.
    Retired & enjoying life

I don't have a design wall. But the other day, DH pointed out a package of batting-like material at the fabric store labeled as "design wall". He was surprised, not understanding the concept. On the package, it said that the material would not stretch as batting will.

Well...for $35.00, I can replace my batting when it stretches.

I bought a ten dollar fleece blanket from a housewares store and it's great as a design wall.

I went to Goodwill and found a queen size flannel sheet that has moose and bears on it as a design wall. I have found it works great for me and it only cost $3.00.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Blog Entries
    I started with a flannel-backed tablecloth. Too small.
    Then I went to a king-size white flannel sheet. Worked okay, but blocks would fall off any time someone walked by. I finally tacked up a large piece of batting. Nothing falls off, it works great!

I have wood sliding closet doors. I covered them with 2 layers of warm and natural, then cream flannel. I love them!!