Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric for design wall?? >

Fabric for design wall??

Fabric for design wall??

Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Fabric for design wall??

I am getting closer to my new sewing room being finished, AT LAST, and I will have a design wall, 7x8. So, my question is, what fabric do you have on your design wall? My thought is white flannel, but before I buy it, I want some advice, which is always so great, from quilters on this board. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM

My design wall is 6ft by 6 ft. We covered the core board with a thick batting and then used a tan or creme colored flannel but that is the color that went well with my sewing room. Now that it is said and done glad I went with that color cause when I put something up on the wall if it had been a brighter color may have shown thru the blocks. I like it.

Hubby used big washers about big as a fifty cent piece behind the screws that hold the board on the wall to keep the screws from working thru the core board. He found creme colored spray paint that matches perfect and sprayed the washers so they blended with the hardware that keeps the board on the wall. Then he punched a hole the size of the screw head in a piece of paper and spray painted the head of the screw thru it after he had it all up on the wall. So ALL the hardware matches the design wall. Just sharing a few tips.

Corry
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Take a look look under the Mission: Organization section. We posted a boatload of ideas for design walls - everything from flannel to quilt batting, curtain style to roller style to removeable.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
RST

I like felt -- it priced out cheaper than flannel for me, and it comes wide enough that I didn't have to seam it for my design wall.
RST
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Mine is 8'x8' and covered in 100 cotton. It's insulation board so I can use pins and not worry about anything blowing off with a fan or dogs walking by.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t169525.html
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

I use white flannel. I recently replaced the flannel with white felt, I find that the felt doesn't hold your fabric as well as the flannel does.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM

I recently had an 'ah ha' moment. I was using my design wall as the backing to adhesive spray my quilt sandwich. It dawned on me that I could use the adhesive spray to MAKE my design wall sticky, too. I did, and anything I put on it sticks, and I can re-place blocks and pieces to my hear'ts content. Spray adhesive lasts a LONG time. And if/when it doesn't work, I can re-spray.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Cream colored fleece. It works like a charm. Only my Border Collie's tail dislodges blocks. Fleece is very grabby and will hold a full quilt without pins.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM

MY design wall is covered in warm and white batting and works great.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 PM

What a great idea.
Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
I recently had an 'ah ha' moment. I was using my design wall as the backing to adhesive spray my quilt sandwich. It dawned on me that I could use the adhesive spray to MAKE my design wall sticky, too. I did, and anything I put on it sticks, and I can re-place blocks and pieces to my hear'ts content. Spray adhesive lasts a LONG time. And if/when it doesn't work, I can re-spray.