Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: fabric glue

fabric glue

What kind of fabric glue is best or recommended that will wash up. I see people using glue with a long thin nozzle on it and just drop drops. Does anyone know what this is.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dodee

Will be watch for the answers members post

They ususally use a washable school glue like Elmers if you are talking about things like tacking the binding down.

You're kidding - Elmer's will do that!!??!

That is what they use and it also washes out. Just press it a bit to get it to dry for you to hold it well.

Blog Entries
    I use Fabri tac works very well!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Yes, Elmer's School Glue works great. Check out Sharon Schambers site. She uses this glue to hold her bindings in place instead of pins before sewing. You use a fine line of glue, set the binding on as if to pin it and press with a hot iron, then you sew it on. The glue washes out when you wash it. I have been using this method for over a year now, it works great!!!

Depends on what I'm using it for. If it's binding, or something heavy/bulky like that I'll use Elmers School Glue in the bottle and set it with the iron.

If it's for piecing then I use a glue stick - no need to set that with an iron. Roll it on, place the fabric, bring it to the machine to sew - done. I've used a few different sticks, including Avery and Office Max own brand (or was it Staples - can't remember which store now). At any rate, each time I buy a pack of glue sticks I test them first to make sure they wash out. And no, I have not had any problem gunking up my machine, and I've used this stuff A LOT!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I love my gluesticks.

I use Elmer's School Glue all of the time to glue baste. I even use it to sandwich small items to be quilted- I find that the glue absorbs into the batting & doesn't leave marks on the fabric. I always test first to be sure & have been using 80/20 batting. The long thin nozzled bottles can be bought at craft stores & you put your own glue in them.

The tips can be purchased (Nancy's Notions, etc.)--there 3 in my package. The ones I have are "Folkart, Enamels Tip-Pen" (Craft Tip Set) I see it says the 3 tips are different, one is fine, one super-fine, and one extra-fine.
    I see on the back of the package this internet address: www.plaidonline.com. I have used mine with Elmer's School glue.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltymom View Post
    I use Fabri tac works very well!!!
    Fabri tac is permanent!!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Elmer's or Rose Art schoole glue sticks. Elmer's is best but both do a good job. I like Elmer's as the glue is purple (dries clear) and it is easier to see where you have placed the glue. I don't iron the project to dry the glue. Great for small projects or applique. When used for binding, the glue is usually dry or set by the time you get all of the binding around your project. I use glue sticks for everything, applique, batting, binding. I buy 10 to 20 sticks at a time when school supplies are on sale.

Blog Entries
    I use glue sticks for applique, and Elmer's Washable School Glue for any other glue job, such as bindings. I think the long thin nozzle glue you are seeing might be Roxanne's. I find Elmer's is more affordable and available everywhere.

Blog Entries
    I use elmers and glue sticks both work great for me.
    Sewflower

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    They ususally use a washable school glue like Elmers if you are talking about things like tacking the binding down.
    That's the only glue I use......but haven't been able to find the special tip to use. JoAnn's didn't have it so have to keep searching.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
    I use Elmer's School Glue all of the time to glue baste. I even use it to sandwich small items to be quilted- I find that the glue absorbs into the batting & doesn't leave marks on the fabric. I always test first to be sure & have been using 80/20 batting. The long thin nozzled bottles can be bought at craft stores & you put your own glue in them.
    What a great idea with glue and batting!!! And glad to know about the nozzled bottles. Thanks!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

We use Roxanne's Glue Baste It and a small amount goes a long way, it's the one our instructors at the LQS highly recommend. It bonds quickly in a matter of a few minutes which is nice, the nozzles is a long needle that the glue comes out of and it comes with an extra needle. I've had this bottle now about 5 months and it's still full

When would you use glue? I just don't think of that.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I'm with everybodyelse. Elmers and Glue sticks. I don't use heat bond with I applique(too many mistakes that couldn't be undone once set) You can move the glue stick stuff around for an hour or so before it dries and hold firmly for sewing. Washes out with no problem with out the stiffness of heat bond.

Blog Entries
    I am so uneducated in the quilting world! I would never ever have thought about using Elmers or a glue stick on a quilt. I learn so much here!

Thanks for asking about the glue. I didn't know I could use Elmers. Nice to know.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    That's the only glue I use......but haven't been able to find the special tip to use. JoAnn's didn't have it so have to keep searching.
    I bought the bottle with the tip at Michael's. It was sold in a 2 pack and was located with the other accessories in the aisle with the acrylic paints.

At my local Joann's, they had a package of 6 small empty bottles with the long nozzle (not the metal tip, but they work well). I found them in the aisle with the x-acto knives. I never would have looked for them there...I just happened to come across them when browsing around.

I rarely use the metal tip...it's a pain to clean. I find that if I'm careful, using the long nozzle alone is fine. I generally glue, then iron and it works great!

I use it for bindings mostly, but it works great when you want to match a pattern and don't want your seams to show. I haven't used it for applique, but it would be great for that as well I'm sure.

Blog Entries
    i use glue sticks most of the time- can get them at the dollar store for a 2-pack (sometimes a 4-pack) for $1!!!
    works great and washes out.
    the basting glue you've seen with the long tip is Roxannes basting glue- available at shops like Keepsake quilting, clotilde's and Nancy's notions---many more i'm sure.
    i stick with elmers if i need something different than my glue sticks- much less expensive- and works good
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!! I would have never thought of Elmer's School Glue - not in a million years but that makes perfect sense!!!! I can't wait to try this.

Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge!!!!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast