Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011 >

Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Hanging my head in shame. I was at the store yesterday to choose some fabric for the next IRR round (can't always get from my stash for these) . . . walked past the FQ bundles and oh, the polka dots . . . brought some home. My first slip.

Beginning again today.
admitting your lapses is the first step in recovery. LOL. We all will probably be in the same boat sooner or later.

Pat
Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM

How did you know? Bought a book yesterday. Another Pat (SpotMurphy)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM

I have been really good and only "shopped" from my stash. I am trying to use up my scraps too making pin cushions, needle cases and draught excluders. I am feeling good!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 PM

IMO, patterns are okay if you need them within a reasonable amount of time. For someday?? - not for me.

another IMO, kateyb, you can buy the required color for your guild if you use it soon and use as much of your stash as you can. It's stash building that we overacheivers need to avoid.

Sounds like everyone is staying strong. Personally, I'm about to use 2 charm packs I don't even like. That's a first. I will need to purchase 1 yard of cream color solid, but nothing because 'It called my name.' I was in a huge JoAnn's this weekend. I carried a beautiful cream and coral rose print around and petted it, then returned it to its shelf. I hope no one minds buying used fabric. My hands were clean.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Miss Purple Shoes, I really want to see your draught excluders. I have a drafty door and it's been cold this winter. I want to make something cute. Show and tell?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 AM

I finished piecing my bargello top yesterday. Posted WIP photo of the bargello and another quilt top here this morning:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92412-1.htm

Both are entirely from my stash so far. If my mom and dad like the look of them (I hope they do!!), I'll want to make matching borders for them, which will mean buying fabric.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM

so i slipped a little today.

I'm making two of my students graduation quilts -- with fabric from each of the plays that they've been in during the four years they've been with me. I have everything organized and sorted (no surprise there), but they switched up the spring musical and i needed some dr. seuss fabric (they're doing seussical).

Fine. I ordered 1 yard from fatquartershop - which will be plenty for both quilts.

I'm thinking this doesn't count as a slip because specific fabric for two specific quilts that need to be done by May.

THEN, I went ahead and ordered Kona Khaki fabric to make my sweetwater charm pack quilt. It might be next in line (after the binding on the turtle quilt, the psiquilt postage stamp quilt-a-long, the two grad quilts) -- i probably could have waited on this one.

A half slip.

THEN (!!!) I found amazing black & white letters fabric. I bought a yard. No reason (other than a "someday" words/letters quilt for me)

A full on slip. :oops: :cry:

Dang. Back to square one. I'm going to go finish the binding on that turtle quilt so I feel a little bit better.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:28 PM

I've been GREAT about not buying . . .

but it helps to have "Life" get in the way to prevent one from shopping :( :(

but I'll admit I did think about "treating myself" today just to have a little fun...but I was strong and didn't go near the store. :)
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM

I was at LQS yesterday, for a class, and told the owner that she is like a drug pusher with all the pretty fabrics that she kept pulling out from her new order. She just laughed.

Pat

PS- I didn't buy anything
Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM

One tiny slip up and it wasn't my fault, at least that is what I am telling myself. My daughter has asked me to make her a quilt, she decided that she wanted the mystery from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville, (now that she has seen the quilt) and the one colour that I have do not have a lot of is brown, so I ordered a pack from the Fat Quarter Shop.
So I guess because it is for a specific purpose that is ok right right right :cry:
I have been doing well otherwise, it helps to make a lot of scrappy charity quilts but my stash just doesn't seem to go down