Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Preparation: Ironing technique? >

Fabric Preparation: Ironing technique?

Fabric Preparation: Ironing technique?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Try Mary Ellen's best press. It's a light starch that really helps take the wrinkles out. My Hancock just had it on sale for $4.99.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Everyone does things different....I do not wash my fabric before use. I will only ever steam a piece of fabric that is all bunched up and wrinkled, but before cutting it to use for anything. Up and down pressure with the iron..although I admit..to some slidding at less than perfect seams.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Basically this is what I do. Large pieces and straight of grain I use steam. Small pieces and pieces on the bias I don't use steam to avoid distortion. Good luck!
Doug
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
When I wash my fabric I always iron it with steam. I also keep a spray bottle of water just in case there's a stubborn wrinkle. I also use steam with my pieces though, but I don't iron back and forth I take my iron place it on the seam and steam. Haven't had much distortion. I like my seams set for when I'm sewing them together, they just seem to lay flatter and stay in the direction they need to be.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by NCfleur
Thanks to all. Based on everyone's great advice, I think I can give myself permission to use steam to iron my fabric after I wash it. LOL!! :-)
lol what ever works for you
Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 PM

i also have a question. How or where do i get a very old pair of pinking shears? my grandmother gave these to me years ago and i have kept them put up for a very long time. Now i would like to use them but now they just shred the material.

thanks!
Sherri :)
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM

I always wash yardage fabric, get it out of the dryer promptly but still have some wrinkles, I use steam to get it out. I don't always wash fabric that I purchase in kits. The pieces are usually small. Sometimes that can cause problems. I did some hand quilting on a 18" wall hanging, used warm and natural batting. When I washed the quilt some of the pieces got that old-fashioned wrinkled look, some areas did not. I was disappointed with the way it looked after all the time I spent on it.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by rainbowquilt
i also have a question. How or where do i get a very old pair of pinking shears? my grandmother gave these to me years ago and i have kept them put up for a very long time. Now i would like to use them but now they just shred the material.

thanks!
Sherri :)
Sherri did you know those old ones ca be sharpened? It use to be done at the fabric stores but I'm not sure where to get it done now.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 AM

If you're near a Hancock Fabrics they have a man that comes in once every couple of months to sharpen scissors and shears. At least the one here does. Other than that, I'd ask at any fabric shop. It sounds like they've been used to cut paper.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

the no steam 'rule' really applies to pieced blocks where steam may stretch the fabric patches out of shape...for full pieces of fabric (be it yardage or fat quarters makes no difference) steam or starch for nice crisp fabric, making it much easier to cut accurately.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. I try to get the fabric out of the dryer before it's completely dry and that makes it easier to press out those wrinkles. Otherwise I need to use steam too.
DITTO on getting he fabric out of the dryer before it is completely dry.