Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric purchase without a plan >

Fabric purchase without a plan

Fabric purchase without a plan

Old 08-02-2021, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't have much of a stash - whats left are two big bins of scraps and some precuts I won, and pieces I bought early on. Those are hardest to use. Now I just buy for a project, then the leftovers go in the scrap bins and I make a lot of scrap quilts. I hear from my local quilting friends how overwhelmed they are with giant stashes, can't work them down, etc, and I figure that is not for me. So as stated above, that is something you will need to work out for yourself depending on your desires, your space, your budget and how you like to quilt. Just having pretty fabric for me isn't enough to justify buying it, unless I have a plan for it. A prettier one will come along one day when I need it.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:10 AM

Before I put myself on a "NO FABRIC BUYING" mode back in Nov 2018, if I saw a fabric I liked I'd buy at least 3 yds. If it was a neutral say in white, cream, grey and/or black I might buy at least 5 yds and if it was close to the end of the bolt, I'd just take it all. My last quilt bus tour which was back in Oct 2018 I came home with 60+ partial bolts of fabric which is one reason why I put myself on a no buying mode. I still haven't found shelf space for the bolts. Plus I had shoulder surgery between then and now and went into a no sewing mojo mood till just recently. Beautiful fabrics out there but can't buy until I find room for what I already have.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:37 AM

If I like a fabric I will buy the fat quarter bundle if they have it since most of my patterns use fat quarters. If I swoon over the fabrics I will indulge in a yard of the entire line along with 3 yards of a favorite in the line for use as a border, thankfully, I only have 2 or 3 of those! 90% of my stash is Fat Quarters, the rest is 1/2 yard to 5 yard cuts and 80% of my stash are Batiks.

Something to keep in mind as you evolve as a quilter, is that your tastes may change! When I started quilting I loved the traditional fabrics and patterns and I purchased a lot of those fabrics, patterns and books. A decade later I find I am drawn towards more modern quilts and patterns, and batiks are my fabrics of choice. In a major overhaul and purge of a few years ago, a local gal was the recipient of totes and totes of fabric and books and patterns that I once loved but no longer suited me. At the end of the day, have fun and enjoy your shopping trip and don’t forget to show us what you got!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:07 AM

I also will buy a yard of fabric if it fancies my taste. It adds to my stash but I something plan a quilt with that fabric in mind.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:31 AM

I often purchase fabrics with no particular plan. And I just returned from a Hancock’s of Paducah trip! My purchases included multiple neutrals to use for backgrounds, multiple wide backs (108 inch ones) for quilt backs, polka dots and stripes and checks just because I love using those in quilts, lime green and dark pink fabrics because I seem to use a lot of those, and some Tula Pink fabrics. One or two yards usually works for me except the neutral backgrounds . For those, I generally get at least 4 or 5 yards. It is harder when you don’t know what you’re going to need. I have a lot of fabric, but it seems I’m short on something when I go to actually make a quilt pattern.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:50 PM

My wife and I have a significant stash. If I had it to do over again, I would buy larger quantities of blenders and background fabrics and fewer “focus” or “showstopper” fabrics. We still love what we’ve bought, but it will take a lot of creativity to use all of them since many of them don’t blend with each other. Then when we’re ready to start a project, we could buy the focus fabric that’s appropriate for the recipient and use a lot of the blender fabrics from our stash.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:56 AM

Blender and background fabric is what I allways seem to come up short on, so I've been making a real effort to get more each time I've been fabric shopping.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:59 AM

I usually buy 3 yards of a fabric if it makes me 'smile' a very large smile and I can put it into the stash I already have. I do, now that I have learned some better lessons over 30 years to group for quilts I plan to make. I also look at clearance fabrics for better buys. Last seasons fabrics are just fine to me.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Something I really like or off white I will buy at least 6 yards. When I go to Handcock's I buy lots of remnants. I spent about 300.-400. Dollars. No such thing as me having too much.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I don’t have plans but see a fabric I have to buy, I buy 1 yard and add it to my stash.
This is what I've done for years. Now I'm trying to use up some of my stash lol