Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric for purse/bag/tote ?? >

Fabric for purse/bag/tote ??

Fabric for purse/bag/tote ??

Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Lots of you are making lots of different types of purses etc. What type of fabric are you making them out of? Most look like cotton! Just wondering how well cotton holds up? I tend to carry the same purse forever and it takes a beating - but it is leather. Just curious? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 AM

I made a tote bag using 6 FQs of Robert Kaufman's Essentials Batiks- 100% cotton. I sandwiched fleece and did not quilt. It has travelled with me on quilting shop jaunts (too many to count), long-distance trips (4) and anywhere else I need a tote. I also made one-same pattern- for DGD and it is being used by a 2 yr old - made again from Kaufman fabric- prints and Kona. I am anxious to see if purses hold up as well made from cotton.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM

i use cotton for my purses or totes , but i have many of them, so i am always switching. I have to check fast before i leave the house to make sure i have the one with my keys and wallet in it lol
Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM

I haven't made a purse yet, but it is on my 'to do' list, near the top. I'm not planning on it lasting a long time and I won't use it everyday. I get tired of purses and like to switch often. The last purse I bought I paid 30.00 for so I feel I have to use it for a few years. I still switch it out with others. I have a lot of purses because I usually buy them at the thrift store.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm going to be using upholstry fabric on my next one. I think it should hold up even better then cotton.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 PM

I've used home dec fabrics, regular cotton (with interfacing) and quilted ones. They've held up well.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I've used home dec fabrics, regular cotton (with interfacing) and quilted ones. They've held up well.
I agree, I use what ever strikes my fancy at the time. I have made probably a couple hundred bags/purses over the years. If you want one that will last long, try denim or upholstery fabric. You can also put feet on the bottom so the bottom corners don't get worn out quite so soon.
Just beware, making bags is addictive

Pat
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 AM

I have made several and even though many people don't quilt them, I always do. I have found that I like the look of a quilted bag. It doesn't have to be alot, just some meandering or cross hatching. I think it makes the bag a bit sturdier. You will find which one you like better, quilted or not. They are so much fun to make and after you make your first one, you will see that the possibilities are endless.

Good Luck and Have fun!!!