Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Scissors... >

Fabric Scissors...

Fabric Scissors...

Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 AM

Joann's sell Fiskar's sharpeners that work wonderful. They are usually on sale when the scissors are. I believe they are around $12 - much less than a pair of scissors. A little heads up on using them, always pull the scissors toward you. If you push them back in forth it will actually dull the scissors instead of sharpening them.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 AM

Just explain to her nicely some of the great ideas above and move on. But I'd put the fabric sissors out of site.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 AM

Just suggest she buy you a new pair from her allowance...that usually finishes the indifference.(The good fabric scissors start at about $30 here, so I suppose the 'message' isn't as strongly put if they are cheaper).
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 AM

Why not put your scissors in a place where she would not find them. If you have a sewing room or a place where you keep your stash, and explain that the scissors are just for cutting fabric and the others marked paper are for paper
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 AM

I was told at "quilt camp" the paper of decades ago had metal fibers in it. Paper made now doesn't have those pesky metal fibers. Unless the perp cut a lot of pasteboard or reams of paper, your scissors should still be good. By the by, don't tell anyone in your family about this. They need to keep thinking to leave your fabric scissors alone. Shhhh, this should not get out to the family, this info is classified. LOL
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM

After many scenes with Dh, DS &DD, I had a family meeting & showed them my untouchable scissors. I had tied the loudest neon strip of fabric I owned to to the handle so they couldn't say they didn't know. It never happened again. It also helped when I took them to classes!
Debbie
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
my 15 year old daughter took my Orange Handled Fiskers ~the big pair~ to cut paper with..she doesn't understand why I'm upset. Can some of you help me explain to her so she doesn't think I'm just "freaking out" for nothing... Grrr!

There are 15 pair of scissors around here marked with a sharpie in big letters PAPER.
RE- GOOGLE SEARCH -

Here was an interesting response to that question.
I've often wondered that myself. (Having grown up in a house where there was such a thing as 'good' scissors. That is, those not to be used for kids paper projects.)

For what it's worth here was an answer I found on an 'Ask the Scientist' forum.

"Various clays, and/or calcium carbonate, are a component of many papers,including cardboard. They are there to make the paper stiff, to adjust the absorption of inks, to keep the paper hard when it is wet (wet strength), and as a filler (Clays are less expensive than wood fiber in many cases, depending upon the quality of the paper.) These minerals are abrasive and dull the scissor."
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 AM

I love what Nancy Zieman does ... she puts her good fabric scissors in a box in the freezer marked "Chicken Livers"!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
Just tell her it dulls them and you need them sharp for cutting fabric and if she uses them again, you will mop the floor with her favorite outfit :)..just kidding
I like this best. I would also get a well used "paper" scissors and a "fabric" scissors and have her cut fabric to show her the difference. If she still doesn't understand, have her cut enough fabric with the paper scissors for a small quilt, and sew it together for her as a reminder. :lol:
After all that remember you can always replace a pair of scissors but not your daughter, so smile, give her a hug, and tell her you love her.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM

When my children were still at home, I hid my good scissors. I still have them 20 years later and they cut great!