Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric shopping in North Carolina >

Fabric shopping in North Carolina

Fabric shopping in North Carolina

Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Banned

Cool Fabric shopping in North Carolina

I am going to Raleigh North Carolina late October to visit relatives, experience real fall colors & shoot photos and of course go fabric shopping! I have Googled the stores in North Carolina but am looking for advise on your favorite fabric shop, best deals & assortment of fabric, etc.

I LOVE batiks and unusual patterns (Walking Labyrinth, floating cubes, and Karen Combs quilts are wonderful). I have also started a collection of vegetable fabrics and candy as well. Here are some of the quilts I have made - http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...38-albums.html

I do not have any pattern/fabric in mind yet and LOVE to shop!

Thanks for any pointers in advance!

Stephanie
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Oh, lucky you. I love going to NC fabric shopping.... sorry, I don't know the Raleigh area but if you want a road trip while you're there, drive down to Mary Jo's Cloth Store in Gastonia. It's a little west of Charlotte and is the biggest fabric store I've ever been in.... and I've been in a lot. They carry all kinds of fabric including decorator fabrics, bridal fabrics, etc. The quilting section has huge selection.... many different companies and good prices.

If you google Mary Jo's cloth store, you'll get their website...... have fun.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 AM

Mary Jo's, for sure!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Oh boy, MarynJos for sure. I live just west of Raleigh and its about a 90 minute drive to mary Jos but so worth it. If u can't find it at Mary Jos, you don't need it! You MUST go! They have rows and rows of batiks, repros, themed fabrice. Oh man, i'm drooling.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Depends on where you're coming from and how you're getting there. But if you're in CA going to NC, you're probably flying, so these won't help, unless you're going to be out touring around.

There's MaryJo's Cloth store in Gastonia, NC, on I-85 exit 23? http://maryjos.com/fabrics/
She has lots of batiks and novelty fabrics (food and many others) and wide backs, probably including some wide batiks. Great prices, too.

There's Carolina Fabric outlet at Swannoa (sp?) just east of Asheville, NC on I-40. More limited selection, but good prices.

There is a fabric outlet in the mountains in Virginia off I-77 and I-81, but I haven't been there. I think this is it.
http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Sho...yFabricOutlet/

I don't know too much about the RTP area. We mostly drive through NC on our way to somewhere else. This one looks interesting http://www.milloutletvillage.com/ They have an outlet in Raleigh.

Forget the place you can see from I-40 near Burlington, NC. It's decorator fabric only.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM

I agree with all the Mary Jo suggestions, but it is a good drive from Raleigh to Gastonia where the shop is. I live in the Asheville area in the mountains, and the drive from here to Mary Jo's is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. In my opinion, the Carolina Fabric Shop at Swannanoa is not very worthwhile. Asheville Cotton Company is an excellent quilt shop - with quilt shop prices!! Also, south of Asheville in Fletcher, NC, is Foam and Fabric Outlet, which is not a quilt shop as such since they carry all types of fabrics, but they have lots of quilting cottons.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM

I went to this shop once about 5 years ago (I was in NC for the birth of my first grandchild). It was a very nice shop. www.wishuponaquilt.com <o></o>
Phone: 919-782-6363 <o></o>
8817 Westgate Park Dr. #104<o></o>
Raleigh, NC 27617

Other than that, I know there's a quilt shop in Jacksonville, NC. Lots of fabric, but very crowded.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Elegant stitches in WAverly place is fun. That's in Cary. Thimble Pleasures is great. It's in Chapel Hill. Both have lots of batiks
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM

If you can get to Mary Jo's it would be well worth it. Just make sure you keep a lot of money back for it. I spent around 400.00 my first trip!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Wish Upon A Quilt in Raleigh is a great shop and such helpful people. The other one I like and use quite a bit is Elegent Stitches in Cary. Wonderful service and beautiful fabric.