Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric Stabilizer

Fabric Stabilizer

I just read that if you spray the back of your quilt sandwich with fabric stabilizer, it made it easier to glide under the presser foot while FMQ. Has anyone tried this and if so, what is your opinion about it? I find my quilt often drags, especially if it is a full-size quilt.

I use starch .. is it the same thing as fabric stabilizer ?

Would love to know if this works. It could be very useful
    Heather

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had never heard of spray on fabric stabilizer until this thread led me to go Googling. Apparently, it is often used for machine embroidery. It says it washes away complete. Interesting idea.

I'll be watching to see who chimes in on this one.

I don't know why someone would use a spray that isn't good for your health, the environment or your wallet, when you can use a Super Slider or a silicon mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I don't know why someone would use a spray that isn't good for your health, the environment or your wallet, when you can use a Super Slider or a silicon mat.
    Candace, what do you know about this that you say it isn't good for your health or the environment? How about a silicone spray for the surface the quilt will sit on?

Sailorwoman, be careful to have the majority of the quilt on top of a surface so that the weight doesn't pull the quilt down, or you will feel like you're fighting your quilt.

Looks interesting, I've never heard of this product http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Sul...zer-Spray.html I can't imagine spraying an entire quilt back with this, but it does look intriguing, especially for embroidering quilt labels without a removable stabilizing product. I do starch my quilt backing, and like "mckwilter" says, keeping the majority of the quilt on the table certainly helps. I use the "puddle" method while doing fmq rather than rolling or folding and it works well for me. I also use the silicone spray on my table top to assist with the drag.

Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    Candace, what do you know about this that you say it isn't good for your health or the environment? How about a silicone spray for the surface the quilt will sit on?

Sailorwoman, be careful to have the majority of the quilt on top of a surface so that the weight doesn't pull the quilt down, or you will feel like you're fighting your quilt.
    Any chemical that you breathe can effect the health of those around you. Why buy something that you'd have to continually purchase for FMQing when there are permanent choices available. Buy a slider or mat and the problem is solved. And no propellants from spray cans or chemicals to worry about.

Sorry, Quilters, I gave some wrong information. It is spray sizing that Frieda Anderson wrote about in Quilting Daily. This is what she said: "To help the quilt sandwich slide smoothly over the surface of your sewing area, use spray sizing when you iron the backing of your quilt. This keeps it slick."

Blog Entries
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I always use sizing, never starch, and its only $1.00 a can at Walmart!!

Candace, I applaud your concern.
    I have many allergies and anything with a smell to it (even if it's a nice one) can cause a reaction in me. Therefore I use a face mask when I spray basting (love that stuff) even though I use one with "no smell." I also have an air vent in my quilting room to take out fumes.
    However, I wonder if you are thinking of chloroflurocarbons that are bad for the ozone? They were banned 30 years ago.