Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Blog Entries
    I am wondering how you organize your fabric. I am a beginner quilter and don't have much fabric but when I get some would like to be sure it is all organized. Hubby has been unemployed since July 2009 so $ is tight for us. Have a wonderful day!

I just came across this link and thought I would post it here to see if anyone else has used this organization idea.

http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...-and-tutorial/

Karen

I do mine by colors. Fat quarters by color and yardage by color.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I do mine by colors. Fat quarters by color and yardage by color.
    Me too. :D :D :D :D

I am kind of half and half on that. Some are by catagories....Christmas, Halloween, doggies, stuff like that. Then I have two plastic containers of BLUE, and another of tans and greens. Guess I just can't make up my mind....

Am I the only one that doesn't organize? My fabric is a mess. It's all over the place...in closets, drawers, bags...I think I need help! I have to admit I should organize it so I can find stuff. I spend a lot of time digging around and getting frustrated but it seems impossible to get organized! Who wants to come help me???

Quote Originally Posted by vicki75
    Am I the only one that doesn't organize? My fabric is a mess. It's all over the place...in closets, drawers, bags...I think I need help! I have to admit I should organize it so I can find stuff. I spend a lot of time digging around and getting frustrated but it seems impossible to get organized! Who wants to come help me???
    I will come over and help you, if I get to keep every other yard..... :lol:

I have 2 bookshelves in my sewing room where I put my FQ's in color groupings. And large tubs that I keep the larger pieces in. Also have the seasonal things together and the Bali fabric in another group.

I also sort by color and theme. Black and white together, novelty. I also keep flannel all together.

I have a dresser I keep all the fat quarters in by color. The rest of the fabric is in a cupboard by length of cut. I can see what color it is and there's no point in pulling a piece of fabric out if it's not the right length. That way if I need a 3 yard cut I'm only looking at 3 yard cuts and longer.

Blog Entries
    I use my "stashtamers". See my ad in the Classifieds section. LOL!
    Had to put in that plug!!

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I will come over and help you, if I get to keep every other yard..... :lol:
    I don't know if I could part with any of it. LOL Isn't it funny how we continue to buy new fabric that we LOVE and just have to have. Then we forget about all those past purchases that we just LOVED and had to have.

Funny someone should mention this.

I am knee deep in my sewing room in fabric and notions. Reorganizing everything after we added a new shelf and bookcase in my sewing room. I have two piles going, one growing mess is pieces big enough for fat quarters and the other one is the scrap pile to be cut into 3 or 4 inch squares. Those are for scrappy quilts and other brainstorms I might have.

Well, we moved to Texas last March and couldn't find a 4 bedroom house. So, my sewing area is in the middle of the kitchen/dining room. What a mess for all to see. I didn't have any other choice...I have to sew. heeheehee My DH is wonderful. He never complains even though it looks like a tornado came through and dropped off tons of fabric.

I sort my stash by colors and also seasonal prints, juvenile fabric, flannel, and wide backing fabrics.

I fold fabrics that go together in a bundle with the pattern I have chosen at the time. I often change my mind about the pattern but when fabrics go together, I try to keep them together.

i'm half and half, too. same cabinet from ikea. (mine is messily filled with books)

I had my fabric nicely stacked on metal shelves by color, seasons, novelty. Then we needed the room for an exchange student and she had to have a closet so all the fabric went into plastic bins. I carefully placed them in order BUT when it came time to put them back, DS wanted to "help". Got the picture??? Now I'm in the process of reorganizing the sewing room so everything is back in plastic bins. I'm following the 'organizing' threads very closely to try to do it right the first time, again. There have been such great ideas. Please keep them coming.
    Wendy

Most of my fabrics are organized on this shelving unit below in my closet. Most are arranged by color, a few others by category, ie, Christmas, Fall, Novelty, Baby, Juvenile and Sewing. Home Dec fabrics, flannels, fleece and batting are out in my 'annex' in our attached garage in plastic tubs with labels.

On my bookcase of quilty books are my FQ's, a Jelly Roll, Charm Packs and Printed labels in/or shoebox size plastic boxes as cleverly disguised bookends, lol. :-D

Are those comic book boards pretty strong? Thanks.

Fabrics on shelving unit. Some notions on inside of closet door
    Name:  Attachment-20748.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  112.9 KB

Bookcase with smaller fabrics
    Name:  Attachment-20749.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  75.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Hi vicki75

I will come and help you!

Karen

Blog Entries
    I just found this video on how to fold your fabric neatly!

http://www.howcast.com/videos/56027-...ng-Fabric-Tips

Blog Entries
    another link about organizing your fabric and wow that lady has a blog how to organize everything, really fun to read for ideas

http://www.marilynbohn.com/component/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,11/p,545/

Blog Entries
    All my printed fabric is stored in the closet, I have most of it in plastic containers according to what sort of fabric it is--cats, kids, xmas etc..fabric i might be collecting for a project.
    I have stacks of fabric for backings.

the second pic is where my solid color fabric is stored...under the yellow table cloth is 4 rubbermaid drawer containers-each color has its own drawer.

I have a tall slender bookcase I am going to add to the closet for fat quaters now that i found myself using them more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Wow, i love the way you store your fabric

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    very neat quiltgranny and craftiladi! i would love to have your fabric stash!! :lol:

I bought a real bakers rack from the restaurant supply store 10 years ago, now I have (3) bakers racks. These hold a lot of weight. I divide my fabrics by color and type and they are out where I can see them all them time which is inspiring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast