Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fabric storage...plastic bins or folded on the shelf?

I also have mine folded 6" ruler style on shelves I had my husband put in the closet of the bedroom I took for a sewing room. I do have some "inherited" fabric in plastic bins that I have been meaning to go through and figure out what I want to keep and what I want to donate. I am more concerned about dust than fading. For some reason, lol, I have a dusty house, could it be the lack of dusting or the chocolate lab, well I blame him....

I keep all mine folded in a closed closet or in bins. Light will ruin it eventually. I have many pieces of yardage that will have to be sub-cut due to light fading! I've bought it at quilter sales, yard sales etc. and bring it home to wash and see much of the fabric is ruined do to folding it and putting it where the light hits it. It sure looks pretty all stacked and in the open as I see many people do...however, unless you plan on using it quickly it's not good long term.

Blog Entries
    I have a book case.--11 1/2 deep--29(30)''wide, and 72" high. When I buy fabric, I fold my material roughly the width of the shelf width(10"-11 1/2". I put it on the shelf like it is on a bolt of fabric. And I still see what Ihave.

I have kept some fabric in bins... but find that I forget what is in the bins. I am far more likely to use what I have if I can see it. The only exception would be fabrics purchased specifically for backings, those I keep in a bin.

I keep my stash in plastic - we have 2 cats & 3 dogs so there's always a ton of lint and fur in the air and I want my fabric to stay as fur-free as possible! (of course the instant I lay anything out a cat magically appears on top of it, but that's another issue!)

I use plastic Sterilite drawers for my quilting fabric and I LOVE them. I have a few bigger totes for non-quilting fabrics (like all the fabric I bought to make those curtains I'm probably never going to get to, and some vintage fabric I'm scared to "use up") and then I have a small group of 16-qt totes that are "project" totes; each one holds parts of a specific project and are rotated through as I work on stuff.

I use both!

I agree that the light can quickly ruin fabrics and you are smart to want them enclosed. Hubby set up my closet into a great configuration for me. Here is a picture of mine when it was first finished. There are wall hung white cabinets above my sewing are now that also holds fabric.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ar-t61710.html

I hope this helps you a little with ideas.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I have mine folded on comic boards in a cabinet with doors ... so they are out of the light.
    Amythyst

You sound like me. I have approximately 30 rubbermaid containers filled with fabric and some fabric on shelves. My husband would die if he realized how much I have and have spent but he takes me shopping and asks if I want to stop at a quilt shop when we pass one. I haven't noticed any smell from the rubbermain containers

forgot to mention that I store my purchased kits in separate containers and my other fabric if purchase for a special project together and the others my color and write on tape what is in the containers so I know when looking for something

Blog Entries
    58 yrs! Wow! Thats alot of fabric! I use both also. at our local dollar store they sell these things you put in closets bins ect for preventing moisture.
    Love to see your stash

Blog Entries
    The only plastic that does not outgas is the hard brittle vintage plastic. The totes that are made today are softer, and do outgas. I do not think that the outgassing will hurt the fabric, other than the fact that there is no air circulation. Have not had a problem in humid Delaware YET. (Gotcha sentence). My totes of fabric (only 6 or 7) are stored in rooms where there is central air conditioning. I store my favorite fabric on shelves in a closet wrapped on forms, it makes it easier for me to "shop" from my closet rather than from my lqs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Hard plastic bins do not outgas, so are safe for fabric storage. You just want to be sure they are not so airtight that moisture becomes trapped inside; a little air circulation is good. Some of my fabric has been in bins for years with no damage, so I don't think moisture is a problem in my area. Quilters who live in highly humid areas may want to drill holes in their plastic bins so there is a little more air circulation in them.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I keep my yardage folded and stacked on plastic shelving units. Pieces that are less than a yard, but 1/8 or greater, are kept in drawers under my cutting table (it is an old dresser). Anything smaller than 1/8th of a yard is cut into 5 inches squares or 2 1/2 strips and kept in plastic shoe boxes. I will never live long enough to use up all my stash! None of mine, by the way, is exposed to direct sunlight.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

I use plastic bins, too, but I hang larger pieces on hangers in the closet. I have used cardboard bolts, too, but I find the hangers easier to paw through without making a mess.

Blog Entries
    I fold my fabric and have it stored in a cabinet with door on it. I have some small collections stored in plastic tubs.
    Sherri

I fold mine around comic book backing boards and stand them up in a bookshelf I bought just for that purpose. The fabrics are not in direct sunlight, so haven't had any fading problems. When I had them in plastic bins I just couldn't see what I had, to play with color and design. It works much better now.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I store fabric in plastic containers; sometimes I have a bad habit of leaving fabric out and I can depend on my 16 yr old to spill something on it, or me for that matter! I like the clear ones so I can peek in them instead of pulling out everything!

I think whatever works for you is the way to go! LOL I have had fabric in plastic bins and even out in my storage shed for years with no issues. My mom moved out here (thank goodness she is a quilter too) and she has a lot more room so we are in the process of wrapping our fabric. Whatever you do, make it easy to find and get to otherwise you will be like I used to be - just go buy new because you can't find it in what you have!

I folded mine and put on an 11" deep shelf. Has helped enormously since I can do a "drive by" audition for fabric coordination. Keeps me from digging thru boxes and making an enormous mess. During the organization process, I found lots of great fabrics I had completely forgotten about. Works for me which is all that really matters!

I bought some clear hinged plastic storage boxes from Sam's Club a while ago. Unfortunately, they are not available at this time. They were sturdy, see through and the right size. I hope Sam's gets them again because the ones at Walmart don't compare in quality. Does anyone know of a source of plastic storage boxes or what do you use?

Banned
    On the shelf, so I can see color families.

I keep mine in banker's boxes inside plastic bags or in plastic bins. I can lift the banker's boxes, they are cheap, and I've had no trouble with them. But I have a tip for you, something that works well for me. I sort my fabric by colors on the color wheel (so I do include yellow-orange, etc.), one color per box or bin, and then I stand the fabric up in the box so that I see the folded edge of each fabric. Another way to say that would be that I stand the banker's box on it's end, and put fabric in it nicely folded and with the crease out and visible, then put the next fabric on top of that, etc. That way, I can go to the box with the color I need and see what is in there at a glance. I have my shelves labeled with the names of colors so I know right where to look.

Blog Entries
    I have my fabric on comic book boards on shelves in a bookcase however I hang a quilt in front to prevent any possible fading on the folds

We live on surgar sand, raise dogs and my material is storedName:  P3110093.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  99.6 KB in clear plastic totes from WM that snap closed and are not too big and heave for me to lift. Sorted it not long ago and lables each tote, one for horses, one for dogs, blenders, flowers etc. Prewash all fabrics, after (now) surgeing, don't starch or iron as that can draw bugs in the heat and humidity until I use them. WM has a whole line of clear plastic totes that work well, are all the same base size and stack like a dream.

i have mine stored in plastic totes and a wire shelving set up. the totes have fabric that is >10 yrs old and doing fine. Only damage i've ever had is from the moths eating the Italian wools. A bit of bay leave and some cedar balls took care of that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast