Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
    I have an anniversary quilt I am putting together for friends celebrating 5 years. The fabric with the blue, green and brown designs is the the background, but I am having trouble choosing a fabric for the silhouette I am going to applique onto it. I am on a VERY tight budget, so what you see is what I have. What would you do?
    All: Attachment 422105
    A: Attachment 422106
    B: Attachment 422107
    C: Attachment 422108
    D: Attachment 422109
    I'd take the olive green, simply because the others are just darks------no personality/.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late View Post
    I am always to leery to ask questions like that here. The answers will vary so much. If they're isn't a general consensus in opinions you're right back where you started. I copy my fabric or scan it in and print it. Then I print them out and cut out a sample simple shape and judge what to use that way. It's always nicer to get as close to finished example as possible. Good luck with your project.
    BUT..........one of us may point out a characteristic of one or another fabric that makes the original post decide what to look for.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Reb View Post
    A for a very soft look. C (my preference) for a more traditional silhouette but still on the soft side. D is a little darker? Hard to tell actual shades on the computer screen. Good luck, lovely idea for a gift.
    I agree that C would look great! Have fun and please show us your finished quilt!!

Blog Entries
    I like C or D the best. My mom drew silhouettes when I was a little girl and she did them with black. To think of it, I think that the only silhouettes I have seen were black. Just my humble opinion but I think your background is perfect. Please post a picture when you are done.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

I know that when I see a design question there will be a full range of responses, but that's at least half the fun. There is always some information that helps me to think outside the box. It may not help you but I am glad you asked the question.

I vote for # 3.

I would go with the solid black. Your choice of background is fine, the silhouette will show up as long as it has a dark contrast.

I agree. M.I.Late is giving good advice. The positive side of being limited to fabric choices is that you are doing the best you can to create with what you have. No need to do the searching game for the perfect fabrics. This is a great challenge. The fact that this quilt is for husband and wife the quilt can lean towards a "man quilt." Take one step at a time, making the best decision as you go. Thank you for sharing your dilemma, oops, I meant "opportunity!"

I am inclined towards the look of C, the mottled dark gray, otherwise I'd use the black. The black is stark, but as a rule, that type of application would be. Still, I do like the softer look of the gray against your background.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I like the idea of the traditional look of the solid black.

I like number 3!!! Can't wait to see the finished quilt~~~
    There is no place like home!

Blog Entries
    B: but I can see using the lighter blue along with it. draw out some blocks on paper and see what you think. OR use excel to make a block if you don't have a quilt design program. check this out.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t-t105549.html

With the busy print, I don't think you want a sharp contrast, or anything with much of a pattern. I really like the third fabric from the top. Is that C? Anyway, the point is to make a silhouette, not grab all of the attention away from the very beautiful background fabric. That lighter color will definitely work as a silhouette -- e.g. you can accomplish what you want to do. But it won't be so bold as to overwhelm the beautiful soft print. That's what I would do, but then, it's your choice.

Good Luck!
    MacThayer

I like your background fabric paired with the green. If there's not enough contrast with these two, I'd design the top so I could add some brown (picture frame around the silhouette?) Keep playing with them. It will come to you. And looking at all the photos on the page recommended by "Ranger" above should give you some good ideas.

I personnally like the green best. It compliments the print fabric.

I like either the first or third

Am I missing something here? What are you appliquing? I think if we saw what your making we could make a more informed choice.

Blog Entries
    For silhoutte I might use the grey, as the black would be harsh. What are the sihouttes going to be of? This might help if we knew what they were. Go with your gut and it will be OK no matter what.
    sew1

I like the black solid with the printed background. I think it is extremely hard to make a selection from a picture. I'm sure it will be lovely whatever you choose.
    GeeGee

Reb
    A marbled gray, I'm not sure how that would look for a face. The solid black is traditional but that doesn't have to be where you go with this. Best thing to do would be to try each one and then choose. Hopefully you would have enough of the fabric to do that. If you have a photographer friend they might be able to help shooting some pictures that could produce each effect. Then that might make it easier to visualize what would be best. Only other thing I'd do is fold each preview fabric as close to the size of a head as possible and pin each to the background fabric. Put it on a design wall or hang from a hanger with clothes pins and stand way back and see what appeals to you. Note, I've been told I can agonize too much about some things like choosing fabric. Go with your own "gut" reaction and no matter what the people receiving it will love it!

I like the idea of a dresden plate using all four fabrics. I love the background and the solids pull out the colors.

I like the brown first, then the green second. They both seem to become a part of the background fabric you've chosen instead of just "floating" on it. You have quite a decision to make. Your friends are very lucky to have someone who cares about them so much!

Quote Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
    Normally I would agree but the friend i am making it for specifically requested this as the main fabric, apparently she and the husband to be really liked it.
    I like that fabric for the background and I would go with the purple.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Power Poster
    I like the third one...looks best with the fabric according to the picture..

Well, the decision is made! Thanks so much for all of your input!. I'm sorry I didn't post a picture of the silhouette first, but this is the one that I ended up going with. To make it pop a little more, I am going to use a blanket stitch to finish off the edges (plus it gives me something to do with my hands while we travel for the 4th of July!), and it does look a little odd- that's because I haven't attached the other leg for the woman or squared it up yet! Thanks again! I'll be back to figure out the borders and quilting!Name:  2013-07-03_08.18.36.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  891.4 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast