Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric >

Fabric

Fabric

Old 10-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Yes, but I just hold on to it because my tastes have gone back and forth over the years. It's possible it will be perfect for something someday.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:41 PM

I have only been quilting for 2 or is that 3 years. I have found it very easy to build a stash but as I have learned that I like scrappy I have also been given scraps. It is easy to get rid of fabric. This summer I gave away some OH so bright yardage that will be perfect in Africa where it is now headed. The same with some very pretty material for 3 - 4 dresses that were more dress or blouse fabric than quilting fabric. I used some scraps to make doll quilts to be donated and then this afternoon we had friends over and was reminded that the son also sewed so I was able to get rid of the cowboys and Indians fabric that I had been given. His comment was "Cool". I have also found that we all like different things - thank goodness so what I might not care for someone else does. There is also a section on this board where people can advertise to give away fabric that they don't want. Sometimes the recipient pays the postage, sometimes the sender pays - up to you. I believe there is also a sale section also.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:36 AM

It is rare that this happens, but when it does, I will often add some yardage to complement the layer cake. And I actually use the same pattern to get that pre-cut out of my stash. Did this with one last year and when I gave the quilt away, the person who got it was "over the moon" with the colors and print and the beautiful randomness of the "double cut" pattern left it a fun puzzle of colors and patterns. Once again, one person's ugly is another person's beauty.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:00 AM

I think all of us have bought fabric we thought was great and then said "UGH" later...I usually use for backing on wall hangings...
Old 10-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Fabric you bought and now don't like.

Originally Posted by quiltingnewf View Post
yes ... my LQS had "new" and "sale" signs over a line of pastel cottons. Of course I had to have it. I bought a meter of 8 different colours.
When I went to make a quilt from it, I realized how much I dislike pastels. The quilt top is completed, but I have not finished quilting it. And I have lots of it left over.

Hopefully, I will find a use for the rest of it. I guess Im just a sucker for a "sale sign".

Donate it to something like Lutheran World Relief. Ladies in Lutheran churches make hundreds of quilt every year and donate to third world countries. The recipients Love them and are very excited to receive them.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 AM

Oh yes, that has happened to me too. I love to purchase layer cakes and sometimes there are too many "white background" prints to use. I just add in some coordinating fabrics to make up for what I couldn't use. I usually add a white/cream solid to a layer cake to break up the patterns. Once I picked up a layer cake that I really only liked about 3 of the patterns. That became a small quilt that was given away. No need to make a large quilt out of it.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 AM

I just went through my full and also left over precuts last night, to find all those cream on cream, tiny pale flowers and very light prints that I normally don't want to use. Too blah.

I am planning a quilt out of that Wilmington reds jelly roll that was the daily deal at MSQ a few months ago, and I think I want to use various low volume cream prints as background, since the reds are consistent in color and volume.

Also, when I buy a precut, I like to buy some yardage of my favorite print out of the selection. But I find that often, even on new items, my "favorite" isn't offered. I tend to like those large florals that remind me of a more peaceful and graceful time in history.

Last edited by Garden Gnome; 10-08-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

When I fall 'out of love' with fabric I list it for sale on one of the Facebook destash pages, such as SewItsForSale or QuiltersMarket. Someone out there will love it and want it.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM
mac

Been there, done that. Buyer's remorse. It seems to happen most when going to a quilt show, where if you don't buy it right there and then, it won't be there when you go back.

Usually, I'll just put it in my stash and maybe discover it later and find that I really do like it. Or, I'll use in something that I am giving away. It can be used in making a pot holder, coaster, mug rug, and if there is enough fabric, a grocery tote bag (people always like getting those). My other idea for using fabric that I don't particularly like is to cut it up small enough and it will just blend with everything else. If all else fails, trade it with another quilter who has just bought something that they don't like. After reading this thread, you can tell we all do the same thing: remorse buying.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Yes, but I just hold on to it because my tastes have gone back and forth over the years. It's possible it will be perfect for something someday.
I do that same. Or I use it in a log cabin or string quilt where I cut it in small pieces. Sometimes a fabric that I didn't like as a whole is great in a string quilt or log cabin because usually I bought it because I liked the color.