Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric >

Fabric

Fabric

Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
It's the thread count.
Yes, that's one of the reasons. Another is that the cheaper fabric may be a test run and the colors are not printed exactly right or not exactly what the designer had intended. If you're not getting it as part of a collection, you may not see anything wrong, and it will be just fine.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I pay more attention to the feel than the price when determining quality. I find good fabric at lower prices occasionally using this method.
Me too! $5/yd is my limit so far, and I have found nice feeling, heavy pieces at JoAnn's on the red tag 1/2 price clearance for $1.50/yd. I have also bought clearance fabric from the LQS at $5/yd that was very thin. bought it to coordinate with something else, but disappointed in the $10.95 original price.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I use both inexpensive and expensive fabric, but I do open the fabric fold on all fabrics before I go to the cutting table to make sure it has some density, and to make sure the pattern on the fabric is "square". Some of the less expensive fabric that looks the same as the expensive fabric is mill run seconds, not marked as such.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 AM

Two years ago this subject came up at a local guild. I called the headquarters of several fabric manufacturers.

Every manufacturer said thread count, dye and surface finishing determine the "hand" of the fabric, which is the way it feels to your hand.

Every manufacturer denied making different grades of fabric for different wholesalers and retailers. Each representative said their companies did not have the resources to do that and they also said they could not risk their company's reputation by producing different grades of fabric for different stores.

Each also said that some of their fabrics had a better "hand" than others, primarily because of the thread count and surface finishing. But those fabrics are the same whether you pay $10 a yard or $3 a yard--it's exactly the same fabric and what you pay depends on where you buy it.

I have no way of knowing whether every company representative to whom I spoke misrepresented the truth, but since each of them separately and individually told me essentially the same thing, I am inclined to believe what they said.

I will tell you that buying poor quality fabric when you are starting to quilt, make garments, etc., is not a bargain. Such fabric is much harder to deal with because it is easily distorted and will not wear well. Buy the best you can find at a price you can pay and your sewing will be much easier and you will like the results much better.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 AM

Two years ago this subject came up at a local guild. I called the headquarters of several fabric manufacturers.

Every manufacturer said thread count, dye and surface finishing determine the "hand" of the fabric, which is the way it feels to your hand.

Every manufacturer denied making different grades of fabric for different wholesalers and retailers. Each representative said their companies did not have the resources to do that and they also said they could not risk their company's reputation by producing different grades of fabric for different stores.

Each also said that some of their fabrics had a better "hand" than others, primarily because of the thread count and surface finishing. But those fabrics are the same whether you pay $10 a yard or $3 a yard--it's exactly the same fabric and what you pay depends on where you buy it.

I have no way of knowing whether every company representative to whom I spoke misrepresented the truth, but since each of them separately and individually told me essentially the same thing, I am inclined to believe what they said.

I will tell you that buying poor quality fabric when you are starting to quilt, make garments, etc., is not a bargain. Such fabric is much harder to deal with because it is easily distorted and will not wear well. Buy the best you can find at a price you can pay and your sewing will be much easier and you will like the results much better.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I pay more attention to the feel than the price when determining quality. I find good fabric at lower prices occasionally using this method.
That is why I don't buy from Connecting Threads anymore. I find the fabric very thin when holding it up to the light.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jshorty
What is the differene in 100% quilt fabric at $8-$12 per yard and 100% cotton fabric at $3-$5 per yard?
Our Joann's carries a number of fabrics that are the same pattern as the LQS. I bought it as it was $8.99 vs. $10.99. It was fine but it wasn't the same fabric. I wrote to the manufacturer as they produced both pieces and the response was the thread count of the fabrics was different. One was run for quilt shops and the other was a less expensive alternative. I will admit I buy $3-4 yard fabric for my backing but for my tops I am a LQS snob. I just love the higher thread count fabrics. But I will still shop Joann's if it's what I can afford a the moment.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bailey
$3 to $7 per yard to spend on more fabric? LOL Sorry, couldn't resist!
Amen to that for sure.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM

When Manfactures make good quality quilt fabric, they start by what is called the first run. This is where they line up the pattern and adjust the colors for the fabric. Sometimes these are off a little or a lot and they adjust until the have quilt grade fabric. They sell these first run fabrics to Hancocks, Walmart and ect. You can still use them but check them over for flaws before you buy.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM

I personally don't make heirloom quilts that last forever. But you know what? My grandmother and mother made quilts from scraps from either clothes that were worn out but had good patches, leftovers from garment sewing or feed sacks. They've lasted 75 years that I know of --and they were made to use not look at.