Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric at Wal-mart

yesterday I went to wal-mart looking for a backing fabric for a quilt I am making. After looking at all the fabric twice, I went back to the fabric that said .50 cent, so I got a bolt and took it to the cutting table and ask the lady if it was indeed .50 cent a yard, she said yes. I got 10 yards of fabric for 5.00 what a deal. I know it is not as good as a quilt shop fabric, but it was not too thin and it work for a backing.

Blog Entries
    If it works and you like it who cares where it came from! I am sure when it is quilted it will be beautiful! The only ones that will know where it came from was in walmart fabric dept. Themselves. Good find.

Blog Entries
    great find. i find that even the inexpensive fabric is sometimes really good fabric. you just have to check it over. i'm sure your quilt is going to look great.

Great find

Blog Entries
    I am not a Wal-mart fabric snubber. Some in my guild poo poo it but then I have to remember they are shop owners. The fabric companies that provide W's fabric are also suppling quilt shops but not with the same designs. One of my fave things about Walmart is they monthly pattern and fabric projects. The patterns are free to download off the internet and then you can buy the fabrics much cheaper then their regular fabrics. You can make a full sized quilt for under $30 cost for the top and this makes a great quilt for charity give away.

http://www.aenathan.com/index.php?tmpl=quiltofthemonth

Great find!

What a great find!

Hey , I have bought some Walmart fabrics. I see nothing wrong with making the decisions that are appropriate for your project and budget.
    Great bargain , at that price , I would have bought the bolt.

Blog Entries
    wow, such a great deal!

I have purchased Cranston from Walmart, on occasion when I traveled and stopped in a quilt shop I saw some Cranston, so who can tell if a fabric comes from Walmart. Beautiful quilts are made from yard sale, salvation army walmart, quilt shops. As long as you are happy with it, and the fabric has the feel...go for it

Power Poster
    good deal

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness3xs
    I am not a Wal-mart fabric snubber. Some in my guild poo poo it but then I have to remember they are shop owners. The fabric companies that provide W's fabric are also suppling quilt shops but not with the same designs. One of my fave things about Walmart is they monthly pattern and fabric projects. The patterns are free to download off the internet and then you can buy the fabrics much cheaper then their regular fabrics. You can make a full sized quilt for under $30 cost for the top and this makes a great quilt for charity give away.

I agree....I just can't afford $9 yd to make charity quilts. I also get the sale fabric from Connecting Threads, too. Thanks for link! :-D

I don't think my grandmother used expensive fabrics for her quilts. She made do with the worn out shirts, dresses etc and used the best parts. I use what I can for my budget too.

A wonderful purchase, you can not go wrong with that price. When Wall Mart had fabric here, the fabric quality was good. Good for you!

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    What a bargain. I LOVE Wal-mart's fabric. I love supporting my LQS, but with the economy being what it is, I have to STRETCH my money... As I am sure you all do too.

debra

Blog Entries
    There is nothing wrong with buying fabrics at Walmart or Joann's for that matter. If the fabric is nice and the price is good, so be it!! If I am going to pay $10 a yard for fabric though, I am going to go to my LQS where there will be a bigger selection of $10/yd fabrics.

I have made some very pretty items from Walmart fabric that have withstood the test of time. As quilters, isn't that our main creed: To be thrifty and frugal????

Bargin...

I purchase from my Walmart all the time. The fabric isn't so bad, I've seen worse. I think Walmart is the best, besides your LQS but those prices are going sky-high also, so we have to shop somewhere else. You got yourself quite a deal! Run with it!!
    CruisingStef

I say go with good fabric regardless of where it comes from. I have seen some 9.00 a yard fabric at quilt shops I wouldn't have brought into my house, it was so flimsy and I have seen some extra good fabric from Wal-Mart and JoAnn's as well, so I think you have to judge the quality of fabric. Have several friends who won't even look anywhere but at a quilt shop, one only makes wall hangings, so she doesn't have a huge investment like a king sized quilt would be. The other makes bed quilts, but complains how expensive it is and she can't buy much anymore because of budget constraints. Like one of the other board members stated our ancestors used old worn out dresses, shirts etc., using the better parts of the fabric left and those quilts lasted a long time and were used prettily heavily in most cases. My mom could never understand buying material to make a quilt, cutting it up and using it. I often had to remind her that most of us don't have the cotton clothes they had when they grew up and not everyone saves everyting as they did back in those days. So whatever fabric you like regardless of where it comes from is okay in my books. After it is quilted and done, most people can't tell the difference anyway. Everything doesn't have to always be 'name brand' to be good. My two cents worth for the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioness3xs

I agree....I just can't afford $9 yd to make charity quilts. I also get the sale fabric from Connecting Threads, too. Thanks for link! :-D
    I can't afford $9 a yard for ANY quilt. So the WM department (if you can find one that carries material now) or any good deal where the material looks good to you is a 'go'!!!!!

I use Walmart fabric quite often. Our Walmart carries some of the same fabric that JoAnns carries and at a much cheaper price. I do always check the quality of the fabric, however. I even have to do that in the local quilt shops.

I say, sounds like a good deal as long as it is good quality fabric. As long as it is good quality, who cares where it comes from. JoAnn's has gotten so expensive, the $3.00 & $4.00 are now usually $9.00 in JoAnn's now.

shoot i have boughten fabric from walmart a lot and it may not be the best fabric, but i have made some nice quilts that seem to withstand a lot of use.

As long as you like the fabric, that's all that matters in my book. Walmart has some lovely fabric.

I have bought fabrics from Walmart since I started quilting in 1994. Very few, if any problems with their fabrics. You just have to know what you are buying. I like their prices much better than the quilt shops and Joann's. You made a good buy! Be happy with your purchase and go back and get more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast