Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A fabric you absolutely love.

Blog Entries
    Have you found your favorite or most beautiful fabric yet? How mush did you buy or was it just a FQ? I mean you just have to have it no matter what? Me I have to say no that is why I still look and buy. I have not got to the fabric that I absolutely love.

Blog Entries
    i have not exactly found the "one" fabric..but i did have one i "just couldn't cut"!

My problem is that I love too many fabrics. I usually purchase anywhere from 1 - 8yards. Not easy being stashy!! :lol: :lol:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yes, many times.

Oh yes!!! Many times!!! A fat quarter is just not enough. I buy a minimum of three yards but especialy batiks.........they get prettier the more that is unwrapped from the bolt so I end up with 4 to 6 yards, sometmes more. I have lots of pieces that are "my favorite."

I'm not sure I could pick a "favorite" -- I love it all! :lol:

yes I have, I love batiks and would buy nothing but batiks if I could. I do not like the ones with designs, butterflies, leaves etc, I like the mottled no thats not true, I love the mottled. As for what I buy, usually all I can afford. But I never find enough of the ones I like, thank goodness so no danger there. lol

BATIKS, BATIKS BATIKS

Rita

Blog Entries
    I am with you foxxigrani, those are my favorites too...
    I have some that I don't know if I will ever be able to cut LOL but I find more than I CAN afford to buy :roll:

I have some that I can't cut, but an absolute favorite? Not yet. If I found it I would by the whole bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    My problem is that I love too many fabrics. I usually purchase anywhere from 1 - 8yards. Not easy being stashy!! :lol: :lol:
    Sewcrafty, I think I am going to adopt that as my motto "not easy being stashy". So cute and so true!

I have found several "must haves" over the years. Just this week I received a new "must have" in the mail. I ordered 3 yds, but usually just get 2 yds. My problem then is that I am relunctant to use them...don't want to waste them on just anything. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I have found several "must haves" over the years. Just this week I received a new "must have" in the mail. I ordered 3 yds, but usually just get 2 yds. My problem then is that I am relunctant to use them...don't want to waste them on just anything. LOL
    Oh, Janet, I know that feeling well. "Too beautiful to use so I'll save that for something special." I used to laugh when an older quilter friend said she wanted to be buried with some of her stash and now...it seems like a better idea all the time! LOL Will any pattern be good enough?

The only thing I've learned about this problem so far is that fantastically beautiful material (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder) with a fascinating print needs to "go big" i.e., can't be cut up into little squares. Other fabrics with smaller patterns can't be cut either since I'll need them to surround the beautiful big blocks when I've found the perfect pattern.

See how it works? One way or another I think I can protect some portion of my stash "as is" for at least another 50 years.

It's really nice to be a grown up and a maker of the rules, isn't it!

Jois

I have a bunch of pieces that as I bought them I knew it was just to have them not use them. I still pull them out just to admire them.

Oh yes, several. Some I have used, some I am saving. After all , can't we be collectors too? I tell people when they ask about my stash that stamp collectors do not use the stamps and coin collectors do not spend their coins, I do not have to use my fabric, I can just fondle and pet it if I want to, Right? Ruth

Well I suppose that when I find one that fits into a quilt top perfecly I love it!! LOL! But, I love collecting differnet styles and colorways of fabric. It is a great artistic outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    yes I have, I love batiks and would buy nothing but batiks if I could. I do not like the ones with designs, butterflies, leaves etc, I like the mottled no thats not true, I love the mottled. As for what I buy, usually all I can afford. But I never find enough of the ones I like, thank goodness so no danger there. lol

BATIKS, BATIKS BATIKS

Rita
    I think you and I were cut from the same cloth. tee hee I don't normally like the batiks with the gold on them, but I ended up wtih about 4 yards of one once and I just use the back side... no one will ever know. tee hee

Every now and then I see a book like Pamela Mostek. Just Can't Cut It and I inspect the front and back on Amazon or some other book seller but I still haven't bought one. It is supposed to have patterns that keep swaths and swaths of the fabrics you love. They'd be "on show" so to speak and maybe you wouldn't feel so bad about using them.

I haven't bought the book so far.

Jois

I have several fabrics that I absolutely love and just had to have, regardless of the price. Also, I have seen a line of fabric in an older magazine that I fell in love with and have looked everywhere for it and can't find it, but if I could, I'd have to buy it. So far, most of my "dream" fabrics I haven't used in a quilt, but I do have them bundled with other fabrics in preparation for making a quilt. I guess I'm waiting for the dream pattern to use with them!!

I have found my 'favorite' fabric many times. I liked one fabric so much I bought 4 yds. twice because I forgot that I had bought it the first time.

Blog Entries
    My favorite thing for decorating is english ivy and I searched for what seemed like forever before I found fabric like that. About a month ago (or so) I finally found some but have yet to find the pattern to use it with. I'm thinking that I need to go back and get either the rest of the bolt or whatever I can...I love the ivy fabrics. :D

Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    I have found my 'favorite' fabric many times. I liked one fabric so much I bought 4 yds. twice because I forgot that I had bought it the first time.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Proof positive---you really loved it :!:

Have you ever walked thru the fabric area and suddenly stopped because you spied a fabric that shouted at you? Didn't know where you'd use it or what patterns to try but you just HAD to have it. Oh, what fun.

Yes, me too. I have found that fabric I just have to have, but I do the fat quarter thing too. I am just a fabric addict. :D

For me it was a set of six "silk" fat quarters. The colors are gem tones, and they feel fantastic. I bought them with the intent to make a crazy quilt wall hanging. But two years later I still don't have the heart to cut them up. On bad/sad days I take them out of their protective tissue paper and admire them and dream of a beautiful wall hanging, someday maybe when I retire I will work with them, but now I just admire my beautiful gems.

Banned
    My favorite fabric is NOT a main or focal fabric but a black batik. The batik is black with subtle tones of either red or dark blue.
    These will blend with any color.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast