Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabrics From Far Flung Places >

Fabrics From Far Flung Places

Fabrics From Far Flung Places

Old 06-07-2023, 06:37 AM

Default Fabrics From Far Flung Places

I was reading an article today about fabrics from Uzbekistan. I can hardly pronounce this country's name, but wow, what gorgeous fabrics they produce! It got me thinking about fabrics from other far flung places around the world. It's getting harder and harder to find beautiful, handmade textiles these days. Anyone else find some interesting foreign finds?
Old 06-07-2023, 09:45 AM

I love Australian Aboriginal prints but often wondered if they are actually made in Australia....
Old 06-07-2023, 10:47 AM

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday my husband and I were in a bead/crystal shop and on the bead table was a beautiful round mandala like print tablecloth. It would make such an awesome medallion quilt. It was from somewhere in the Philippines and her mother had it before her.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:08 AM

A few years ago, I went to a lecture about Shweshwe by Meerkatshweshwe. She discussed the history, the production and the importance of of these fabrics in the local economy where they are made (South Africa). It was very interesting.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:28 AM

Although not so "far flung," I love all of the traditional, woolen fabrics from Great Britain. They're not great for quilting projects, but they're wonderful for pillows, throws, clothing, etc.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:37 AM

One of my first Covid quilts was made from African wax prints that I salvaged from a couple of wraps/garments a friend had gifted to me (to use for quilting). The colours and patterns are so different and yet they play so incredibly well together (imho). We liked it so much that I later made a curtain to match.
Attached Thumbnails img_5426.jpg   img_6489.jpg  
Old 06-10-2023, 12:20 PM

Oh those are wonderful. I especially love the curtain!! very good indeed!!
Old 06-14-2023, 05:08 PM

In 2018 I was in Tahiti as part of a mission trip. I went into a couple of well stocked fabric shops looking for "tropical" prints to commemorate the trip. Everything "tropical" they had was printed in the USA and copyrighted prior to 2013. A couple of the bolts had copyright dates of 2005. Michael Miller, California Designs, Bentarex. I bought several meters anyway, knowing I'd not find them in the States.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

My youngest daughter's senior trip was to China in 1997. She brought back silk fabric--it was beautiful ! Made her prom dress with it and had leftovers which we still have.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:49 AM

Gemmm, your fabrics are gorgeous. The colors are so deep and rich. Both projects came out beautiful.