Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabrics with glitter/sparkles

Fabrics with glitter/sparkles

What is your experience with these? Do you prewash? Eventually they must be washed in a quilt - hand wash, gentle cycle, cold water???? Do the sparkles wear off easily? I bought two such fabrics earlier today for a 4th of July quilt and now am wondering how to best take care of them. THX!

I made a table runner with glitter in the fabric and I washed the fabric first and dried in the machine. Ironed the runner and glitter fell in the floor but still right much in the fabric. the fabric I bought from Jo-Annes

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I bought some that had glitter in it from WalMart and prewashed and ironed. A little came off but not much. Just going to keep an eye on it. Don't want it to mess up my machine. I don't care if it gets on the floor, that's what doggies and dust mops are for.

Power Poster
    The fabrics I've had seemed to 'shed' some, but most of the glitter stays on for quite a while.
    I think that eventually most of the glitter did come off after many washings, but it stayed on for quite a while.

Aren't you afraid that it will get in your (or a child's) eye? I got it in my eye onetime and it really hurt. Had to go to the eye doctor, and have him remove it, then had to wear a patch for a few days, along with eye drops every few hours. When I see those fabrics, I just pass on by.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    As a point of interest: The Quilts of Valor Foundation does not allow "sparkle" fabric in the donated quilts they take for wounded military because these fabrics DO shed some and that impacts wounds. Seems to me the same would apply to fabrics for small children or for objects made to be around food.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I've had a number of gorgeous Christmas fabrics with sparkles. I was afraid to use them in quilts, and eventually made Christmas gift bags. They will probably not have to be washed for twenty years, if ever. Someone once told me that the sparkles come off too easily and would diminish the look of the fabric.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

All my fabric gets washed, hot water/dryer, before it is added to my stash!
    I want to know what's going to happen with it for the long term.
    For sparkles, I really want to know, so I am not disappointed after I've done a lot of work.

I've had some where the sparkles virtually all disappeared.
    Some minimal disappearance.

One, the sparkles were more of a plastic bead ... no problem in the wash, but if you iron it, they melt.
    And some ... never has lost a thing .. it is more like a rainbow metallic melted into the fabric. I had quite a bit of it .. and now wish I had more of it, and could get other colours.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have a couple pieces with the glitter. I can't imagine why they would put it on 100% cotton fabrics. I will use them sooner or later.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

After all your good info, I've decided to go smaller with a table runner or wall hanging.

Glitter...or metallic? There is a difference.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    What is your experience with these? Do you prewash? Eventually they must be washed in a quilt - hand wash, gentle cycle, cold water???? Do the sparkles wear off easily? I bought two such fabrics earlier today for a 4th of July quilt and now am wondering how to best take care of them. THX!
    Made a QAYG w/glitter fabric for one of the strips and the backing 3 years ago...it gets washed several times a year and still sparkles though not as much. It is used about half the year as she has other bedcovers (none handmade!!) and tries to rotate. She's 14 going on 27 now and hinting for another in the nowmosttrendy colors...What are the NOW colors, BTW

Blog Entries
    as time goes by, 10 yrs, I find it comes off. my glow in the dark ,still 20 yrs later glows, not as bright, but it glows. the glitter seems to stay, at least on the things I do

The glitter/sparkles do come off. I think it takes many washings before all comes off. I don't actively avoid the glittery fabric, and I don't worry too much about what happens to the glitter. i suppose I would worry more if I'd gotten some in my eye, though. There was some glittery glow in the dark fabric with cat eyes that just called to me a few years ago. It was very stiff, and still is even after washing.

I just washed a fat quarter that is the old "fairy Frost" with the glitter just yesterday....it looks like it did before washing. I use a lot of glitter and metallic fabrics and like one gal said, it takes quite a few washings for them to come off. I do use LQS fabrics, not the cheap quality.

I have never had a problem with the glitter fabrics I have used although I don't think I would use them with very small children or infants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Glitter...or metallic? There is a difference.
    Same thing with metallics ... some hold true with washings ... some wash off!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Same thing with metallics ... some hold true with washings ... some wash off!
    I have used glitter fabric in the past, sometimes even spraying my wall hanging with the glitter that comes in a can to give it the look I want but these are wall hangings and I never plan on washing them, but I agree I won't use the fabric in a quilt because of the glitter flaking off and getting into some one's eye.
    quilting with my dogs

I made a millenium quilt for my DGS for his graduation; It had a lot of sparkle and bling, and it still does today. He loves it and it is washed regularly

I pre wash them but use them as wall hangings.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    While not the same - have you looked at the "Fairy Frost" fabrics by Michael Miller? Those do have shine, as you move the fabric it catches the light nicely.

I would not use any fabric with glued on "glitter" to make anything that had to be washed.

I use metallics and glitter in wall hangings only. Don't plan to wash them. While I'm using them there's glitter all over the work surfaces, it definitely sheds.

One fabric I bought was VERY stiff and really didn't work well with other fabrics, so i stayed away from glittered fabric for a long time. Then there were some I couldn't resist and have worked fine ever since. Some of the glitter/shine comes out over the years but I also chalk that up to the fact fabric also fades over the years. I don't do heirloom quilts, I make them to be used and used up so I can make more.

Didn't know that they didn't allow sparkles in QOV. Good thing to know.

I would love to get some more Fair Frost by Michael Miller. Can't seem to find any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast