Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabrics - Ikea? >

Fabrics - Ikea?

Fabrics - Ikea?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Fabrics - Ikea?

Has anyone here ever shopped for fabrics at Ikea? I was doing some online looking for office stuff and decided to take a look at the textile section. They have 100% cotton, 59" width for $3.99/metre. Sounds too good to be true. I'm going to have to check it out next time I'm there and see what it's like quality wise.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80173365/
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

If it's like the fabric at my local Ikea, it is heavier, more home dec than quilting, but not as heavy as canvas. I have made tote bags from it. There have been many posts here of folks making quilts from home dec sample books, so it would be possible to use it in a quilt.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM

I bought fabric from IKEA when I was there earlier this Spring. They carry fun colorful and sometimes funky designs. Most were heavier than a regular quilting cotton. I'm going to make some totes and pillows out of mine. I could see using it for a quilt backing. The fun thing is that you cut the fabrics yourself!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Most of the fabric is heavy-duty cotton decorator fabric. A small portion is lighter weight cotton. I found some with a number of different dalahorsen on it and made a quilt of just that fabric and a batting and backing. I don't think I've made any quilts from any other IKEA fabric. Also look at their sheet sets and duvet covers. There's a lot of interesting fabrics there. I believe it's all cotton.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM
RST

I use it as a backing on several of my quilts. They do carry some that is light weight enough-- and at the wider width, it's very handy for backings. I really like a text print, as well as a music motif-- use those a lot. It's fairly nice fabric and has held up well. I've also used a duvet as fabric. It was somewhat less satisfactory -- but then, it was a queen sized duvet for $10, so ridiculously cheap. The children's section often has fabric mini bolts too-- nursery themed or brights, and apparently intended for window coverings or to make coordinating projects with their ready made children's bedding. I've used those for donation quilts-- cute, bright, and not horribly expensive.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 AM

I've used their 100% cotton sheets for quilts and they're great. As others have said, the fabric yardage tends to be home dec weight. Fun and colorful and maybe great for bags?
Old 08-09-2014, 05:56 AM

IKEA of all places, tks for the info, be checking it out this summer.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
The fun thing is that you cut the fabrics yourself!!!
I was there not long ago and was checking the fabric out - I would have bought some but I couldn't figure out how to get it cut! I didn't see a "cut it yourself" area or scissors hanging around or anything. How did you figure out what to do? I was going to ask someone but couldn't find anybody and finally just ran out of energy and gave up. (It had been a VERY long day!)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Yes as all the above has said, it is a heavier like Home Dec fabrics. Never bought any.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 AM

I believe they sell Marimekko fabric. It is home dec weight (mainly) and definitely a lot of fun.

I can't wait until they come to Las Vegas in 2016 (finally, but not soon enough ). Apparently, the area has to have a population of 2 million plus before they will build a store. Currently if I wanted to go to Ikea, I would have to drive to SoCal or Salt Lake City area.