Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fabrics From Japan

Thank you for your response, Gaijin.

I really do appreciate this realistic news. I, too have such a love and appreciation of the beautifully designed and screen printed fabrics from Japan.

The people and the country are in my heart and thoughts.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by granniegg
    Lecein is my favorite fabric.......how expensive is shipping from this site?
    Very reasonable.
    http://fabrictales.com/ship.htm

Thank you.....seems reasonable for fabulous fabric. I have received downloadable patterns and would like the authentic cloths to do some of them.

Blog Entries
    The reason I am concerned is that the reports yesterday said that the radiation was now travelling on the ocean water around Japan. It could spread south. Today's news is not good either. They are on ultimate alert today. One of the reactors is leaking radiation somehow somewhere.
    Yesterday in Massachusetts there was a report of one town whose water supply is almost completely rainwater and their test for radiation showed increased levels. They said it was from the Japanese situation.
    I just want to be as safe as I can be. I am not trying to put another country down in anyway but I fear making something from fabric like that, and giving it to my grandchildren, would just be an increase in what they are exposed to. Children are more susceptible to this than adults. I would not want my GKs wrapped in a quilt made from fabric from Japan that I could buy 6 months from now.
    I am just being very cautious. There are other countries in the near vicinity of Japan whose products I will not buy in the near future. What is on the shelves now is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin
    Do you know for a fact that any of the fabric mills in Japan are anywhere near the troubled nuclear power plant? Most of the heavy factory areas that I know about in Japan are in the far south of Honshu. You make it sound like all of Japan will be full of radiation in the near future and that everything will be contaminated. I think it's a good idea not to overreact concerning what is happening here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lvaughan
    I found a fabric at Wal-Mart that had the manufacturer name of Sevenberry. I looked it up online and found that it is a fabric from Japan. It seems to be a nice quality fabric, it is like Moda Marbles. I paid $1.50 yard.
    I found this while in TX, after washing it is still thin and seems to have a finish no it that won't go away!

Let me put the situation into perspective: They test the water here in Tokyo daily and we are in no danger of contamination. Unless they travel by ship to the ocean outside the Fukushima nuclear plant (located in northeast Japan)and dye fabric in the ocean water just outside the plant; I can't imagine anything you buy being dangerous or even having any measurable radiation. But now that a number of you are mega-reacting to a crisis that you do not have enough consistent information about, I will make sure to never participate in any fabric exchanges here in order to protect everyone's family member's from non-existent radiation in my fabric stash. You get more radiation from the atmosphere during any international flight then you would from receiving Japanese fabric, by the way. So be sure not to fly fabric or quilts anywhere.

MTS
    Banned
    I will make sure to never participate in any fabric exchanges here in order to protect everyone's family member's from non-existent radiation in my fabric stash.
    I'll swap with you anytime - yukata, kasuri, whatever. ;-) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    I will make sure to never participate in any fabric exchanges here in order to protect everyone's family member's from non-existent radiation in my fabric stash.
    Count me in :!: leicins.....

I wonder.....do we have to be afraid of some contamination on these fabrics? We never know exactly what part of Japan they are from.

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    The reason I am concerned is that the reports yesterday said that the radiation was now travelling on the ocean water around Japan. It could spread south. Today's news is not good either. They are on ultimate alert today. One of the reactors is leaking radiation somehow somewhere.
    Yesterday in Massachusetts there was a report of one town whose water supply is almost completely rainwater and their test for radiation showed increased levels. They said it was from the Japanese situation.
    I just want to be as safe as I can be. I am not trying to put another country down in anyway but I fear making something from fabric like that, and giving it to my grandchildren, would just be an increase in what they are exposed to. Children are more susceptible to this than adults. I would not want my GKs wrapped in a quilt made from fabric from Japan that I could buy 6 months from now.
    I am just being very cautious. There are other countries in the near vicinity of Japan whose products I will not buy in the near future. What is on the shelves now is fine.

Do you know for a fact that any of the fabric mills in Japan are anywhere near the troubled nuclear power plant? Most of the heavy factory areas that I know about in Japan are in the far south of Honshu. You make it sound like all of Japan will be full of radiation in the near future and that everything will be contaminated. I think it's a good idea not to overreact concerning what is happening here.
    The news media likes to put people in a panic...don't believe everything you hear...FOX news use to be the most believable, but they are all pretty much the same now...the government pretty much controls them all.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    sorry - double post

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Most of the heavy factory areas that I know about in Japan are in the far south of Honshu.
    Gaijin,

Thank you for this information. I assumed that the plants were not near Sendai, as we have read in our newspapers that it's mostly an agricultural area.

But I was concerned that the plants might have been affected by the power outages. Good to know that they would likely not be near there... which means that quilters will all still be able to get their fabrics on time!

:D

Sending good wishes to everyone over there who has been / still is being affected by the disaster.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation
    I wonder.....do we have to be afraid of some contamination on these fabrics? We never know exactly what part of Japan they are from.
    seriously....they have more chemicals on them to keep bugs off than any radiation could get on them.....good grief...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Right now I would not hesitate to buy Japanese fabrics. Six to eight months down the road I will not be interested because that is when I expect the fabric to come with possible radiation. I am hoping my LQS does not get involved but I cannot tell her what to buy or not.
    seriously...what a joke...when those crates are xrayed to get into this country they are exposed to radiation....

really you might do well to actually read up on what radiation can stick to and what it can not..

I bet you use your fabric without washing..and did you know it is sprayed with up to 35 known carcinogens just to get it shipped into this country??? No matter what the country of origin is....

really....how sad....

Blog Entries
    Gaijin,

Please don't lump all of us into the same group....I'm sure there are many people on here that aren't worried about swapping with you!

And I offer my most sincere prayers and condolences.

Let me put the situation into perspective: They test the water here in Tokyo daily and we are in no danger of contamination. Unless they travel by ship to the ocean outside the Fukushima nuclear plant (located in northeast Japan)and dye fabric in the ocean water just outside the plant; I can't imagine anything you buy being dangerous or even having any measurable radiation. But now that a number of you are mega-reacting to a crisis that you do not have enough consistent information about, I will make sure to never participate in any fabric exchanges here in order to protect everyone's family member's from non-existent radiation in my fabric stash. You get more radiation from the atmosphere during any international flight then you would from receiving Japanese fabric, by the way. So be sure not to fly fabric or quilts anywhere.
    Do not include me with the others. I would exchange or buy fabric from you anytime. I trust you and if you thought there was a problem with the fabric, you would not use it or send it to others. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phatquilts2
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Count me in :!: leicins.....
    I will also swap fabric with you, Gaijin-- now, two weeks from now, several months from now.

I, too, Gaijin, would swap with you. I am shocked at all the disasters that occurred in Japan. The Japanese people have an indominable spirit and are incredibly strong. My prayers and thoughts are with the Japanese...
    Kindly,
    joey

Do you know that there are quilting organizations making quilts like crazy for Japan? My connection is thru Luann Rubin at e.quilter.com. The thought that someone may find some comfort in my quilts has me working through my stash at a pretty fast pace. Think about it.

We don't have to worry about sending radiation, just love. Sierra

Love Asian fabrics and will pay price. Seven Seas, I believe is from Japan.
    Have these wonderful people in my prayers. We certainly could learn a thing or 2 relative to their spirit. Never saw any looting for the material things, that's for sure.

Helen

Blog Entries
    NPR's Morning Edition radio program had an informational piece about radiation that may help dispel fears and lack of information about radiation and its effects. You can listen to it here:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...95&m=134974380

If you have trouble with that, go TODAY (contents change each day) to this page:
    http://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/
    Scroll way down and search for the story called:

"Everyday Radiation Exposure Is A Tiny Health Risk"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2