Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabrics Resources, and Other Things >

Fabrics Resources, and Other Things

Fabrics Resources, and Other Things

Old 06-01-2020, 05:55 PM

See www.EQuilter.com they have also a sale section. I order from them many years they gave good quality fabric lots of choice.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 PM

if you are willing to shop online, a couple of dependable and less expensive (and you are right, cheap really doesn't exist!) are:

Quilt Fabric closeouts; Marshalls Drygoods; eQuilter (but they aren't that inexpensive). also Connecting Threads has some fabrics that are less expensive and others that aren't--you just have to be aware. Another thought is to shop at a thrift store--many people will deconstruct things like men's shirts and women's dresses (although fewer items for women are 100% cotton)--go to the largest sizes as you'll get more fabric--just check tags that it's 100% cotton. Good luck and have fun joining the quilting community
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM

I'm with quiltingcandy. Send a PM on what type of fabric interests you. I'm sure I have some I could share.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 PM

Caley, we've been chatting on the other thread and I'm so proud of you for continuing to reach out and posting for more info. As you are finding out, the stores are low on items and the prices may be higher than seems reasonable. While the supplies may rebuild, the prices aren't likely to be going lower any time soon.

Although I do have a couple favorite on-line places for buying new fabric, most of what I buy is from thrift stores. I'm here in Seattle and I find amazing things but I go often and I look for very specific items, including fabric yardage. Unfortunately, most of the thrift stores have been "closed for the duration" as we say around here so I'm a few months behind on my regular weekly trip. Although I specifically look for yardage, you can also find plenty of good fabric in garments -- also check where aprons and tablecloths may be. Typically we do want 100% cotton for quilting and for some good reasons, but it doesn't absolutely have to be. Look for sheets too for the backs, I really recommend prints when you are starting, a plain white sheet will show every imperfection and trust me... after all these years there are still imperfections! There was a thread recently about making a denim jeans quilt and suggesting to look in the larger sizes for more yardage! Having been larger than I am now, I know this for a fact. I offer up that around here, close out day is Monday, where old stock is usually under $2 a piece before it is shipped out.

One of my good friends started quilting when he went back home to deal with a family and family farm in crisis, in a rural economically depressed area he was cold with time on his hands and an attic full of trunks of clothes. Because he knew me and I've quilted all my life, he figured well, if she can make quilts, I can make quilts -- because its true! His first ones were about warmth and comfort but he learned and got better and then it became more about the art and the history and now he is quite accomplished. All you really need is the desire, the ability to learn, and the tolerance for doing the same thing over and over and over and over some more.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:24 AM

Hi and welcome. Since I had no formal training, I thought I'd share info that confused me as a beginner.
Needle size: 70 breaks easier than 90; 100 is for blue jeans--New project=new needle. Or change your needle when it sounds like it is "punching" through the fabric (I finally figured out what that noise was!)
Fabric: I mostly shop online at Fabric.com, and buy 4 yard pieces. I'll fill my cart with 20+ choices, and eliminate til in my budget. Your cart is saved for a while.
Do not use bed sheets- the quilt I made from them is disintegrating after many years.
Enjoy your new hobby!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:43 AM

My choice for fabric online is quiltedtwins.com they are in Florida and have fast shipping. Their prices are low 4.99 and 5.99 a yard for most fabric. I think they have flat rate shipping also.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:07 AM

There is also Quilted Twins and Thousands of Bolts for reasonably priced fabric. I've also bought skirts and dresses from thrift stores, just for the fabric, also yard sales and thrift stores, although yard sales and thrift stores recently have been closed. As for the batting, although I prefer cotton I only use it on special quilts because of the cost, poly batting is much cheaper. Thread I order from Connecting Threads, their Essentials 100% cotton, I know people say you only need about 3 colors of thread, but I just can't make myself do that. LOL
Old 06-02-2020, 04:26 AM

Check out the “For sale or trade” section here on this board. People often sell fabric reasonably. Might be some rulers or other supplies as well. Also, Hancock’s of Paducah has sale fabric for very reasonable prices. Is there a quilting group near where you live? It is always fun to have a sewin buddy. Garage sales, house sales, thrift stores often have fabric. Early in my quilting adventures I was at a garage sale and the lady asked what I was looking for. I told her I was a quilter so I wanted fabric. She said let me go inside. I might have exactly what you want! Her late mother was a quilter and she didn’t know what to do with her fabrics, batting’s, etc. she had 5 bins full and bags and bags which she sold me for a pittance. It was a bonanza!

I was visiting my mother about 20 years ago and she took me with her to her quilting group at the Senior Center. I had 0 interest. Those ladies had me hooked after about 30 minutes. On the way back to her house we stopped at Hancock’s (Dallas) and I bought a book, a cutting mat, rotary cutter and a ruler. I was in business! I will certainly warn you this is an addictive hobby.

Last edited by luvstoquilt; 06-02-2020 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 AM

If you have a Senior Center in your area check with them. They may have fabrics that were donated. Any local quilt guilds? Join. They often have fabrics donated and organizations they work with.

Some of us do not pre wash fabrics. I make the top, quilt, bind and they wash using Color Guard sheets found in the laundry section of the grocery store. I've never washed pre cuts. If you are quilting the tops, you will need a walking, also called quilting foot for your machine. Thinner batting makes quilting by machine easier. If you are tying them, yiu can use a thicker batting.

Universal 80/12 needles made for wovens (you don't want needles for stretch fabrics) are a good choice.
Lots of good info online. Just get it done on YouTube in the first that comes to mind.

You've come to a good place on QB. Good luck in your new hobby.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:13 AM

Welcome!! for fabric The Quilted Twins have fabric for $5-6 a yard and lots of precuts. They also have panels and more expensive fabric too. They have wide backing fabric for about $9 a yard too.I have ordered often from them and been very happy with everything I have gotten.