Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fallowing directions? >

Fallowing directions?

Fallowing directions?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM

I cant go by directions ,I have to look at the picture and figuor it out.I really love it when I can watch someone do it ,then I can.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 AM

If I didn't follow directions, I'd be in a world of hurt! I'm like that. For example, when I get a new small appliance or a new car, etc., I always read all through the instuctions/manual before I use it. Crazy, I know, but that's just me.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 PM

I usually read all directions first and try to figure out how to do it. I have learned to make a test block first before I take off and cut up a lot of good fabric. Now my DH never reads directions because of course he knows how it is supposed to go together.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM

I really think it is funny that we think we don't have to read the directions. I am a newbie and I, so far, read the directions. Of course, the first quilt I started, I looked in a book, I saw a pattern I really liked, but I thought I needed to simplify the pattern. Well, how do you follow the directions when you've decided to delete 2 or 3 elements of the q2uilt? I cut out most of the pieces. Put together several blocks and was just ready to sew the fourth block on. Uh Oh!!! The third block pieces did not line up with the other two blocks. I still haven't figured out how I did that.
Needless to say, I suddenly had another quilt, an easier pattern that I decided to make before I go back to the other one. The second one is working fine so far, except that I had to order more fabric so I can replace a block I didn't cut correctly.
I am now trying to figure out what happened to the first quilt and what I have to do to get the rest of it together correctly. Hope I am successful.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 PM

i am just as bad. I tend to jump right in and then when i run into a problem i will actually read the directions. :lol:
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by skothing
Am I the only one who trys to do a block without fallowing directions? Just finished my BOM 4th block to find it easier if I fallowed the directions. :oops:
I knew I was the strange one around here I always follow directions for everything I do. :oops: :cry: :!:
Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 PM

i sewed all my own clothes for my senior year in high school... except my calvin kliens... we had a pattern that made 10 articles of clothing... lined blazer, vest, skirt, dress trousers... a couple blouses....

made them all... duplicates of the blazer.. had 3-4 different colors...

failed home ec, making a knife edge pillow.... i was first one in the class done... looked perfect

BUT i never looked at the directions... = failing grade
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
If all else fails...read the directions!
I'm with you. If I read the directions first they don't always make sense to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Like Dunster, I pay for the pattern/book so I read it all the way through before I begin. I pay particular attn to the bold hints as they usually tell you something that can help before you cut it wrong and have to go buy more fabric.....
Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
If I buy a book or pattern, it's because I want to learn how to do something. If I can figure it out on my own, why buy the pattern? So yes, I read it, every word, and if there's a new technique that I haven't tried, then I try it, at least for that item. How can you learn new things otherwise? Often the designer has tried various methods for making something and has settled on what works best. I want to profit from her research, and her mistakes.
Have to say I agree..as a new "self-taught" (mostly by this board) I tend to buy books with patterns I like and follow the directions and even use the same colors suggested...that way I get what I thought I was getting in the finished project, when I get more sophisticated, I'll start switching things up. But I'm happy for now, and I only do one project at a time..Love the knowledge put out by the board members here!