Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
family of quilters >

family of quilters

family of quilters

Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 AM

I don't know if anyone else out there has this problem, but my aunt has been quilting for I don't know how long, and then my mom was into it before she went back to work once we were in school and she gave a lot of quilts to people in our family. Then there's me. Only been quilting for a year and no family left to give to.

Yes, I'll give quilts to charity, but I don't think it's the same. Every time I go to my grandparents house in the winter, there are the two matching quilts, one pink one blue, my mom made for them, sitting on their chairs or being used.

I think it's more of a personal satisfaction to see your own quilts being used, and though charity is great because people who need them can use them, it's not the same as seeing it used rather than knowing it's used.

*Sigh* Has anyone else run into this problem?? I feel kind of alone in this.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I am the only quilter in my family so I haven't had your problem, yet! I have given my daugher's family so many quilts that she has requested no more for a while. I make them as graduation gifts, wedding gifts, baby gifts, and for charity. I have only kept two quilts, so far, so all the next ones will be for hubbie and me.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 AM

I have 4 other quilters in the family so I can't gift them & no grandchildren either. How many quilts can my DS use??
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM

My problem is that most of my family do not want quilts. So, I give multiples to those that will take them & keep the rest for myself...so far. Since I have not been quilting very long, it has not yet become a huge problem, thankfully!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Make your grandparents seasonal one like Christmas. Then they can use those in the appropriate time and feel good storing them for the next year. If you need Christmas deer pillow panels for your grandfather's, let me know.

Personally, I would love to have enough quilts to rotate, but as a new quilter, I'm years away from that.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM

I have made several baby quilts and put them away for the future. I also have a Halloween quilt and several Christmas or winter quilts. I do change them for the seasons and then I have a picnic quilt and a beach quilt. Oh, and lots of different themed table runners. I make flannel ones for the winter and rag quilts... Never can have too many quilts for me. I give some to charity and as gifts, too.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I have made several baby quilts and put them away for the future. I also have a Halloween quilt and several Christmas or winter quilts. I do change them for the seasons and then I have a picnic quilt and a beach quilt. Oh, and lots of different themed table runners. I make flannel ones for the winter and rag quilts... Never can have too many quilts for me. I give some to charity and as gifts, too.
I save some for the future too. After my christmas quilts/tree skirts are done, I'm back to quilts for the future, but I don't have room to store them. Our 2 blanket cedar chests are filled with quilts and afghans, and other blankets. And my hope chest is full too. Between a quilt from my grandma and one from my great grandma and some dishes and towels, it's full, and I don't know where to put them. I'm considering plastic containers, but they're not as pretty as wood :(
Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Most of my family does not recognize, or appreciate, all the work that goes into a quilt. I don't want my quilts tucked away in a lonely closet somewhere. So I give to those who do appreciate a handmade gift.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Same problem, Different craft. :(