Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fan Quilting Frame >

Fan Quilting Frame

Fan Quilting Frame

Old 07-18-2011, 03:33 PM

I did a search on the board and there were of couple old topics regarding the Fan Quilting Frame for hand quilting. However, nothing very new. My questions is... Is there anyone that is using it? Do you love it? Anyone attempt to make their own successfully??

Thanks for any info. :)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 AM

I am new here and this is my first post . My DH made me a one like this a few years ago and I do love it. I can make any size quilt on it depending on what length boards I use for it. I like that I can set it up in one side of my room and it only projects into the room the width of the frame ends. He made it from a coated type plywood and cut out all the notches for the boards. Then I painted it. I also like that I don't have to do any basting. Just roll the batting and backing on one board and the top on another with everything meeting on the front board. I've only used it when tying quilts, which is what I do with all the larger quilts I've made so far.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 AM

I would love to have one. My DS offered to make one for me. Did your DH draw up his own pattern?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Yes we drew the pattern ourselves. I knew what height I wanted it and that it had to be adaptable to different sizes as I was doing a king size quilt for my grandaughter at the time. We wanted to only use 1 sheet of plywood so we drew the pattern on taped together paper bags then traced it onto the plywood twice flipping it for the second one so it all fit. We also cut the leg cross pieces from it. Pretty cheap but it was a bit of a pain cutting out all the cut outs for the boards to rest in. Fun that it was a project we did together. He is a CAD programmer so it wasn't very difficult for him to plan it out for me. Good luck with getting one made. Just go for it. I think I saw someone using one similar to mine on a blog if you want to print a pic. I would put one up for you of mine but I just joined and have no idea how to do that!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Also if I were to do it again, I would use the cheaper plywood and just be picky about any imperfections. The wood grain coating on mine gave us issues with peeling when we were doing the cut outs. Since I was painting it anyway it wouldn't have made any difference in the finished frame.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info! DS is good at drawing things up.