Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is FAST Quilting!! >

This is FAST Quilting!!

This is FAST Quilting!!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 PM

When I was in my twenties I worked at one of the last U.S. jean factories. Not for very long, only about 6 months I think. But those professional machines really do sew that fast. We were paid a flat hourly, plus a little bonus for how many pieces you did per hour and it paid to work fast. My job was the side and inseams and I did quite a few per minute. I don't remember how many, it was so long ago, but that machine really raced. We actually had mechanics that roamed around and kept the machines working. It was really hard work and I did not enjoy it too much.

The machine in the second video doing the quilting is still a pro machine, not a home machine. It just looks like a home machine. It is still amazing how he is maneuvering that quilt through it.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 PM

These look like sweat shops to me...crafty_linda_b
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM

now that is why they are called sweat shops--imagin how their backs feel at the end of a day--not allowed any mistakes or pay docked---
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
These look like sweat shops to me...crafty_linda_b
That's what I'd call it too!!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM

never seen a sweat shop before this...
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM

It makes me want to try the bias binding attachment that came with the Featherweight. I was looking for a video of it, but found this one on a more recent Pfaff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3vj...eature=related It's similar to the one that came with the old Singers, which was common and standard equipment for decades.

I noticed that these people are working in a large space that's open to the outside, and I imagine that helps to keep the level of lint down a bit. I wonder about the climate and what it's like if there are very hot or very cold seasons.

I know it would drive me nuts to do one step over and over all day - but I'm sure there are lots of jobs much worse than that, and they're probably thankful to have jobs at all.

I'll bet in spite of their great skills, none of these workers will go on to do hobby sewing of any kind after hours, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 PM

and that binding is actually done on an industrial machine ... I worked at a factory where we did car mats and carpets ... they were fast putting on the binding on to the car mats as well

Originally Posted by Katia
When I was in my twenties I worked at one of the last U.S. jean factories. Not for very long, only about 6 months I think. But those professional machines really do sew that fast. We were paid a flat hourly, plus a little bonus for how many pieces you did per hour and it paid to work fast. My job was the side and inseams and I did quite a few per minute. I don't remember how many, it was so long ago, but that machine really raced. We actually had mechanics that roamed around and kept the machines working. It was really hard work and I did not enjoy it too much.

The machine in the second video doing the quilting is still a pro machine, not a home machine. It just looks like a home machine. It is still amazing how he is maneuvering that quilt through it.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Certainly a sweat shop!! All the 'supervisors' hovering!! Then these are sold for a few dollars in the markets around the world!!! Not my idea of 'quilting'! Just someone making a fast buck!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Power Poster

Tough work...destroys your arms and back...Must say though this particular lot of footage is shot in one of the better set-ups I've seen. The environment is newish/clean and they have electric fairly high end machines. Many other places are dismal, using treadles, low light, very poor sanitation.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 AM

Interesting to know what their rate of pay is!!!!!