Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fat cats ruler

Blog Entries

Fat cats ruler

Has anyone used Darlene Zimmerman's "Fat Cats" Ruler for a Dresden Plate Pattern? I bought the rule to make Fat Cats, but would like to use it for a Dresden Plate Table Topper. I would like to see what it would look like before I start cutting. Thanks for any info.

I haven't, but I hope someone has! I think that you have come to the right place!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I have one of the rulers but it is pretty wide. . . . would make wide blades
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

There is a ruler especially for dresdan plates. I love mine. After you get your blades sewn together, there are no raw edges around the outside edge of your plates. I just finished my quilt top and sent it to Charisma to quilt. I think its called Easy Dresdan.

I bought one of those but I use it to cut wedges out of scrap strip sets. My only fat cat is my quilt inspector.

Fat Cat ruler

I didn't do a real dresden, I just sewed the wedges together. I saw a topper this way at a shop. Took a while to find the pic on my old computer. Hopefully I can get it posted in this thread.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that I look at the pic again and refreshed my memory, I made this as a tree skirt for my Mom's approx 3 ft tree.
    Size worked out real good.

Blog Entries
    greencat: Thanks so very much for the picture. That looks great so I'm going to try it. Thanks again.

For a minute I was actually looking for cats. lol.
    katigirl

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dmarina View Post
    Has anyone used Darlene Zimmerman's "Fat Cats" Ruler for a Dresden Plate Pattern? I bought the rule to make Fat Cats, but would like to use it for a Dresden Plate Table Topper. I would like to see what it would look like before I start cutting. Thanks for any info.

Hello . Yes I cut out fat cat wedges tonight. Tho I haven't sewn the Dresdens together, I did take a picture of them laid out. It measures 26 inches across, and only takes 12 blades to make one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowyowl View Post
    Hello . Yes I cut out fat cat wedges tonight. Tho I haven't sewn the Dresdens together, I did take a picture of them laid out. It measures 26 inches across, and only takes 12 blades to make one.
    nice. i like the look of putting one side of the blade against the straight of the stripes.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I can see that cut from a strip set. I may try that.
    So much fabric, so little time.