Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fat quarter "grab bag"

fat quarter "grab bag"

Would you buy a grab bag of fat quarters if the price was right?

Blog Entries
    Only if I weren't particular and I didn't have any stash. But I am particular and I have two rooms of fabric, so no.

Blog Entries
    I don't buy fat quarters any more. I already have a lot and find that I rarely (if ever) use them. My preference is for larger pieces of fabrics that I really, really like. Often I'm just not crazy about the fat quarter pieces I acquire or, if I do happen to really like one of them, I want more of a fabric I can't get.

Power Poster
    Depends on "how right" the price was - and what kind of fabric was in the grab bags.

If I was buying, I would like to have them displayed in a plastic bag - it could be a "buyer takes everything" in the bag deal - but I still would want to see if there was enough "good stuff" in it for me to think it was worth buying.

I guess my answer is "no, I don't think I would buy a blind grab bag of anything"
    Last edited by bearisgray; 11-28-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Would I ever! I am a fat quarter fanatic ... any colour, any pattern, any vintage.
    Mary B

Yes, I have. But I am not a huge fat quarter fan. I bought one for my good friend for her birthday in August.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Yes, because I am into scrappy and this is a good way to get variety. In scrappy quilts it is often the oddball fabrics that add a sparkle.

No, I like to see what I'm getting no matter what the price.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Yes sometimes I end up with fabric I wouldn't buy but works really well. I think we all steer away from certain colors. Forces me to change it up a bit.
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzytish View Post
    Yes sometimes I end up with fabric I wouldn't buy but works really well. I think we all steer away from certain colors. Forces me to change it up a bit.
    Agreed - I like buying this way because I tend to buy variations on the same themes. I like the variety and new perspectives!

If the price was right yes I would, love scrappy and love fats. Then.... after I opened the pkg and saw my new fats maybe I could be talked into buying more, if the price was right.

I buy a lot of grab bags. If you know what types of fabric the seller normally carries, then you have a good chance of getting beautiful fabrics at a reduced price. If buying from an unknown source then the fabrics included may be "off" colors or quality. That being said, if the price is really good, then it's sort of like getting a christmas present - the anticipation is a gift in itself.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I would too because like craftyheart2 said above, they are really great for scrappies and I also paper piece and they are just right for some of patterns I have and also would be good for some applique pieces. I would definitely buy but also the price would have to be good.
    Pat
    Patsy

I did that, 24 fat quarters $1 each quality fabric. Requested go together fabrics. Yes, they go together but they are so drab and dark! The whole line. I know why they were left over!
    I'm still irritated and trying to figure out how to use them!
    I wouldn't do it again.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

I agree with JulieR. Sometimes it is just that small piece of fabric that brightens up the whole quilt.

Fat quarters are my weakness!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

not any more, but there was a time.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    YES YES YES.. Keepsake has 100 FQs for $99.. there's usually a prettied BIG bowed box under the tree for me this time of year.. and If ive been especially good there will be both BIG BOXES- their summer AND spring 100 FQ bundles close-outs. Whoo Hoo..

Im a scrapper so Im pretty stoked when I see that box arrive..

However if I have NEVER ordered from them before and NO fabric lines were listed I think id pass.. I have enough fabric to last a few people a lifetime of quilting and knowing that, YES I would buy more..

I am a 'HOLIC' after all
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 11-29-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Not really. I use to buy fat quarters I liked but then realized that it was usually not enough to do anything with.

I have in the past, but I don't think I would now. My stash is pretty big, and I have 2 kinds of scrappy quilts on my to do list. I have been buying fat quarters for about a year and have lots. I am planning a "Pieces of my Heart" with my batik collection, and I am about 3/4 done with my "Omigosh!" quilt and it is scrappy. I love fat quarters, and when I hear about a really good buy on fat quarters I have to restrain myself. I'm just weak when it comes to fabric!
    Sue

Yes, especially if the price is right, and if I have a good idea of the brands that are included and/or a positive previous experience with that particular company. I've been happy with the vast majority of "grab bags" I've bought in the past.

They come in handy for scrappy quilts, and also for swaps like the Boomerang swaps where one FQ is plenty to complete a swap block.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

Blog Entries
    Only if I really needed (which I don't) the extra fabric and wasn't picky about what I got.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Yes, I buy the stash builder boxes of fat quarters on e-bay when the prices are right! Of course I take the price, add shipping & divide by the # of fat qtrs in the box to be sure it's a good price & always check the dealers out first. I've gotten some beautiful fabrics that way! Sometimes they're just what I need to make my project pop! Good luck!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I absolutely would - I love fat quarters

No .. its been my experience that what ends up in the grab bags is fabric that no one wanted ... for a long time at low prices. So they cut it up into fat 1/4 's . Some times there are some OK fabrics .. but my experience there are more duds than jems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast