Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fat Quarters Question

Blog Entries
    I honestly don't know where others have been purchasing their FQs, I've found them to be exactly the cost of what 1/4 of a yardage would be, and I've shopped in quilt shops in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC, Yukon and Alaska. I've not seen them work out to be more $ then buying yardage.

I'm sorry I can't help you about Missouri Quilting but I can tell you that I love Fat Quarters. I find that when I have a bit extra $ it's always fun to stop in and buy a FQ to add to my stash. I love the variety of fabrics I'm able to get in my quilts using a variety of FQs rather then yardage of just a few fabrics. I tend to buy yardage only for my border fabrics.

hope that helps!
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

They are nice if you want a variety but I prefer to buy yardage.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I like buying fat quarters, but the ones from JoAnn aren't cut on the grain. By the time I straighten out the fat quarter and trim I have less fabric, which is disappointing. But the price is right, and I don't complain.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    What is the advantage of using them? How does the cost compare to fabric off the bolt? I just did a couple of baby projects using them and it made it very simple. Has anyone ever bought from Missouri Quilting?
    You'll have to judge the price yourself. Not cheaper for sure.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I have several in various color combinations. Someday......I will make a quilt but just keep looking at them for now. It is nice to have the colors all cordinated for you.

I never buy fat quarters or any precut fabrics. They are more expensive because someone has to cut them.
    I always buy yardage. Plus this gives you fabric to build a stash, you always have fabric to make a quilt whenever
    the mood strikes or you need a gift.

Blog Entries
    I love fat quarters, I buy them when on sale, otherwise i buy yardage and cut into quarters, then i am ready for swaps and sewing. And I love MSQC, customer service is fabulous, and jenny who does the tutes is great, lots of nice patterns to buy and for free. Love all her tips and ideas.
    I have so much fabric, i could wrap the state of Illinois 100 times and still have too much. Sew little time, oh me
    Mary

Blog Entries
    I love purchasing FQ's for small projects and variety. I purchase mine locally and they are still $.99 each and are true FQ's (18" x 22").
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    THey are more expensiv so cheaper to buy yardage. However if they are on sale I do buy them as that way I can get variety of some different fabrics that may not be available in yardage as sometimes they will use ends of the bolts at LQS to make the fat quarters.

Precuts just make it much easier for you to start a quilting project. MSQC is terrific and they have WONDERFUL tutorials!

I love buying fat quarters for the variety for scrappy quilts but also love buying yardage. OK, I admit it, I just love buying fabric!

It's getting so that I only buy yardage for sashing, binding, and backing. I do mostly scrappy, sampler type quilts so that works for me. There are a couple of "staples" like black, while, and red that I find handy to have in yardages. I try to buy only for current projects so stash building is not my aim.

I try not to buy FQ's as they're not really economical but they look so lovely in their colourful bunches that I usually succumb to temptation.
    Annie

Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba View Post
    I buy from MSQC. They are terrific.
    Ditto. froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    The fat quarter size is the advantage over the flat quarters. They are 18x22 instead of 9x45.

I agree-I love the 'deals' and the quick service

I love fat quarters. I usually get them from ebay, but occasionally other places if the price is right. Right now I have a bid up for a set of 10 fat quarters at a price of $5, so with shipping (if I win), it would be about $11.50. A while back I got 11 fat quarters for 14.00 and free shipping. I use them for smaller projects, small doll quilts, table runners, etc.

Hey, Val in Ind. Your idea of buying an extra yard and cutting it into strips and fat quarters is a neat hint. Thanks for the tip.

Love, love, love FQs! However, I've purchased only one precut stack (batiks). I often buy a half yard off the bolt and then, if I like, I can cut it into 2 FQs = a little cheaper.

I like my fat qtrs as a newbie it gives me more play room with colors. But planned larger quilts I go for yardage. My last quilt for DGS has enough yardage left over to make one for his dad using leftovers - no out of pocket expense except for the batting (purchased on sale of course).
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I bought 3 packages of fat quarters 12 pieces in a package for $3.99 a package That was a good buy for me working on a quilt now using them

I don't usually buy fat quarters. I buy when on sale, and usually there is a 1/2 yd minimun. I do, however buy a lot of half yard cuts and make fat quarters out of them, but that is when I need one for guild or a swap. Before I had a stash, I did buy fat quarters for a small project here and there, but now, I don't really need to, since I have a large stash.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Blog Entries
    I use fat quarters only when I need to add variety to what I don't have in my stash. If I am trying to fussy cut, they are just a waste of fabric because in many prints, I miss more of the pattern than I cut out. Judge for yourself. The smaller the print and repeat, the more you may be able to use, and the larger the print, the more you will waste.
    Sharon (The "Babyquiltlady")
    http://www.uniquebabyquiltboutique.com
    http://learnhowtomakequiltbinding.com

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    What is the advantage of using them? How does the cost compare to fabric off the bolt? I just did a couple of baby projects using them and it made it very simple. Has anyone ever bought from Missouri Quilting?
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Missouri Quilting. I've watched their videos on YouTube, and I think any company that puts that much attention into educating their customers (and doing it so professionally) would have excellent customer service. I haven't bought from them yet, but I will.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I like fat quarters....I do a lot of applique and its much easier to use a fat quarter for speed and convience.....I also like f/q for storing...and I also use them for my Cricut when I cut fabric....and thats my story and Iam sticking to it lol.....Trish

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast