Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarters >

Fat Quarters

Fat Quarters

Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 AM

I am new and a complete greenhorn. I tried to find my answer on search but, I am getting very confused. I have a bundle (7 or so yards) of black fabric and want to cut it into yards of different shapes such as squares, strips, octagon, etc. How do I do that? How do I cut Fat quarters, etc.?

Thanks,
Joy
Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Do you have a rotary cutter, cutting mat, and basic cutting rulers? My favorite basic rulers are a 6" X 24", and a 12.5" square. Once you have the correct tools, youtube.com has quite a few tutorials on rotary cutting for quilts. To me, this is the easiest way to learn the correct method for making your first straight edge, then rotate the fabric for subsequent cuts.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 AM

"Do you have a rotary cutter, cutting mat, and basic cutting rulers? My favorite basic rulers are a 6" X 24", and a 12.5" square. Once you have the correct tools, youtube.com has quite a few tutorials on rotary cutting for quilts. To me, this is the easiest way to learn the correct method for making your first straight edge, then rotate the fabric for subsequent cuts."
I do have all of the above, except my rulers are a different size. I will try to find something on youtube.com.
Thanks,
Joy
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 AM

I'm curious why you want to cut...do you have a quilt in mind? Or are you just going to have random pieces...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't cut it , until ready to use it in a quilt,
You never know when you might need a large piece.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM

A fat quarter is one-half yard of fabric, the cut in half in between the selveges, so that you have a square of fabric. Better for use in applique and fussy cuts.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't cut the fabric until you have a pattern in mind. Then cut it half yard at a time to be easy to handle.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM

It is a huge piece of material. I thught I would cut it in into pieces or size 3 yard pieces for room in storage. To be honest, I am not sure what to do.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM

I agree, don't cut the fabric until you need to. Just fold it up and stick it with your stash. If you decide to use it for a backing and you've cut it into smaller pieces already, you are going to kick yourself, been there, done that! If you use it for other projects, just cut off what you thik you will use at a time. If you want to cut off a couple of yards because you have other fabric that coordinates and you know you will want it for a quilt, that's one thing, I know to try to cut strips off a piece that big is almost impossible to handle. But leaving it bigger gives more options in the long run.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks so much for all the advice. I will not cut it until I need it. I just assumed you cut it so it will be ready for quilts. I am still learning!