Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarters >

Fat Quarters

Fat Quarters

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I have fabrics for sale that range in width from 41-1/2 inches to 44-3/4 inches.

These are all at least five years old, some of them are around ten years old.

These include some brands/lines that are considered "better" (as far as I know) - Maywood, David Textiles, Nancy Crow, Robert Kaufman.

A couple of them had no name on the selvage, but feel like "good stuff"
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by LadyCougar
Hey everyone just wanted to give you a heads up - I purchased about 3 dozen fat quarters from Joann's - every one of them was short by 2" - they are 18"x20" - just beware. I have written to Joann's management team to find out what they are going to do about it. I'll keep you posted.
Our JoAnn's said this was WHY they had recently closed out & restocked their Fats, due to prev problems with quality and cut size - maybe nothing has really changed ??
A 20" width is due to skimpier fabric width - not a full 44". Fabric widths vary quite a bit. We will probably be seeing this more & more ...
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Same thing happened to me. Could it be that the fabric company is trying to squeeze out every inch of fabric to make a buck? I think they cut those (jelly roll) strips first and then use the rest for the "fat quarter". Just an idea I had.

I purchased a package of 20 coordinating fat quarters from JoAnn's a while back--waited until they were on sale. I was planning to make a Turning Twenty quilt. I ironed each one and then went to cut. They were much smaller than what a regular fat quarter should measure. Thank goodness the Turning Twenty quilt had instructions "in case" the measurements were different. I think the author must have had the same experience.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 AM

Guess they will be slim quarters!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 PM

I will wait to see what they do for you
Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Not too long ago our Jo Anns had a sign posted stating that they had a new supplier and that the fat quarters were going to be off size. Some could be smaller some could be larger. I am sure more will be smaller rather the larger. They also went up 50 cents form 99cents to a 1.49
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM

I also find that very often the labels that Joanne's puts on their fat quarters stick to the fabric. I have a very hard time getting the paper label completely removed. VERY annoying.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
QKO

We haven't seen any of the brands we carry reduce their width to 40" yet, and haven't been notified of any width reduction either.

Just price increases. :thumbdown:

If you're seeing abnormally wide selvedge edges on the printed side, you've probably got a factory second. Hopefully you got it cheap.

Most batik fabrics are an inch or so narrower to start with, however some are a full 44+" wide. It depends on the buyer's specifications for greige goods to the "factories" making the product.

Some of the problem may come from cutting technique and the way the fabric is doubled. We see a lot of bolts that are unevenly doubled, with one side up to an inch bigger than the other. This means the fold is closer to one side than the other. (This I think is due to ill-trained or sloppy operators on the double and roll machines, or poorly aligned machines. It makes us scream sometimes when fabrics come in all misaligned and/or wrinkled up. When we see multiple examples of this, we report it to the manufacturers and our sales reps. We've even returned fabrics that were horridly rolled. If you're a shop owner, we encourage you to do the same, it's the only way to get them to clean up their act.)

If the bolt is improperly rolled and the person cutting the FQ's just follows the fold on the quarter cut, you'll have one FQ larger than standard and another smaller. So the person cutting the FQ's really needs to even up the two sides before cutting, to make them equal.

Since a lot of FQ patterns depend on a properly-sized FQ, and we sell a lot of batiks, a couple years ago we started cutting all our batik FQ's at 22" rather than 18". We call them "Chubbies." (Cindy named them after me) :mrgreen:

We cut all our non-batik FQ's at 19" to guard against problems in cutting that could possibly occur.

You may pay a little more by shopping at a good online or B&M fabric store, but instead of a corporate bean counter being in charge of how fabrics are cut and sold, it'll be another quilter making the decisions...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the enlightenment! I would never have thought to look at what the actual size is until I went to use it and it was too short. Customers just have to check EVERYTHING these days!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM

I was in one shop recently where the lady cutting the fabric was VERY careful to cut EXACTLY on the one yard mark, commenting as she did so that the powers that be had gotten very strict about it being 'one yard, no more, no less' and not wanting to get in trouble.