Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Applique Product? >

Favorite Applique Product?

Favorite Applique Product?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I use Wonder Under exclusively. Heat & Bond is not meant for needling, but was designed for crafting. It's too stiff and almost impossible to hand needle. Steam a seam is also too gummy. There could be other products that work ok, but when I can get Wonder Under for $2.95/yd, minus my employee discount, I see no reason to spend more! I have a couple of little secrets for using Wonder Under. First of all, let it cool COMPLETELY before trying to peel off the paper. I have been known to pop my appliques into the refrigerator for a few minutes to speed up the process. Secondly, use a pin to score the paper and peel from the center of the shape, rather than from the edges. This eliminates fraying of fabric. I've been appliqueing for 30 years now, and I'm "sticking" to it!
I have also been doing this for more years than wonder under existed! I also use mostly WonderUnder, but there are times when i combine it with Misty Fuse. For large pieces I use freezer paper and Elmer's.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Very greatful this topic came up! I will definitely be changing my fusible applique product