Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Favorite brand of BLACK fabric

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use black a lot! I have found that it changes yearly as to who has the best black. One year it was Kona solids, but only that one year...then it was Michael Miller JET... Kaufman had a good one...
    I generally tend to go back to the MM JET....

    what is your favorite black to use?

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,173
    Blog Entries
    47
    Kona works well for me:)

  3. #3
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,624
    MM JET for me, too.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Kona works well for me:)
    have you found the Kona to much thinner these days?

  5. #5
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I like Kona. Just like the look and feel of it. I have a stockpile of it so I don't know if the new ones are thinner.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Maywood Studios Black Magic. Double dyed, non-bleed. True black hole black, MUCH better than Kona.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Maywood Studios Black Magic. Double dyed, non-bleed. True black hole black, MUCH better than Kona.
    don't believe I have tried Maywood...will have to look that up and try a yard...

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Maywood Studios Black Magic. Double dyed, non-bleed. True black hole black, MUCH better than Kona.
    don't believe I have tried Maywood...will have to look that up and try a yard...
    My LQS owner told me about it, and it is truly luscious! She really disparages Kona compared to it. She won't carry Kona, doesn't like it! LOL. The day I got it, someone bought a whole bolt for themselves.

  9. #9
    davidwent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ayer Ma.
    Posts
    501
    Moda

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Maywood Studios Black Magic. Double dyed, non-bleed. True black hole black, MUCH better than Kona.
    don't believe I have tried Maywood...will have to look that up and try a yard...
    My LQS owner told me about it, and it is truly luscious! She really disparages Kona compared to it. She won't carry Kona, doesn't like it! LOL. The day I got it, someone bought a whole bolt for themselves.
    I buy it by the bolt myself...

  11. #11
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    I usually use Kona, but want to try a few new ones!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Moda
    Moda is printed, not saturated..I prefer PURE black..

  13. #13
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I haven't used much black yet but I have some nice Kona.
    I've been noticing lately that Michael Miller fabrics are really jumping out at me. :D

  14. #14
    Super Member Ann912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North AL
    Posts
    1,841
    I use only Kona for any solid color in my quilts.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I found the Maywood double dye black is available thru my distributor so buying a bolt..hope I like it!

  16. #16
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    Kona!

  17. #17
    Super Member Favorite Fabrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Posts
    4,097
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like RJR's "Cotton Supreme" black.

  18. #18
    Senior Member probles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Carmichael CA
    Posts
    509
    Blog Entries
    1
    I used to own a quilt store. I found I liked Timeless Treasures black. It is truly black. Too many are lighter or fade quickly. This one does not. I also used to purchase their yellow and white for the same reasons.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I found the Maywood double dye black is available thru my distributor so buying a bolt..hope I like it!
    If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for 10% above your total costs. Promise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.