Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Favorite iron for seam pressing?

Unhappy Favorite iron for seam pressing?

I just read the post about the Rowenta iron catching fire. I have their travel iron and love the size and weight. What are your suggestions for a similar iron. I'm willing to pay more for something similar and safer.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have had several Rowentas and IMHO they are all pieces of garbage. I decided that all the heavy irons just simply couldn't ALL be bad, so I bought a Shark...same thing! Now I use a re-furbed Rowenta as back-up but I use a WM $5 Black & Decker. Not heavy, but no problems either!
    My next try will be the Olisa...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

My next will also be an Oliso But for now I have a Shark, a Rownta and a couple of Black and Deckers Paid 12 dollars for my Shark and love it Hate the Rowenta

I had a shark go out pretty quick...about a year and a day I would guess. Have a Rowenta, it is OK, but not the best. I don't think there is any one that is great. Oliso also has issues. I think cheap is going to be my next one. My husband bought a $10 Black & Decker to put veneer on his woodworking projects and he has not had any problems.

I am loving my Black and Decker Digital Advantage but now I notice it doesn't stay on all the time. I am very sad but am going to see if I can find another one just like it because it has been my best iron so far. The Rowenta lives in the closet. I don't like it, but haven't ditched it yet. It sputters all over the place. I also have a vintage GE iron I got back in the 70s. Nice and heavy and gets very hot. But no auto shut off and even with the inconvenience of that, I know I need it. The Digital Advantage heats up really fast.

I love my Dry Iron I got from HD. I'm not a steam user and if I decide I need a little spritz I just use my spray bottle. Very easy to clean with a Magic Eraser and no holes to get plugged up with starch. Has a good weight to it and gets nice and hot.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    did you want a travel iron or regular?
    I just tried a newer travel iron from Dritz and man was I surprised at it! Very nice, stayed hot all day, fits your hand good, presses well...I love it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
    I love my Dry Iron I got from HD. I'm not a steam user and if I decide I need a little spritz I just use my spray bottle. Very easy to clean with a Magic Eraser and no holes to get plugged up with starch. Has a good weight to it and gets nice and hot.

what is HD? Harley Davison?

I bought my steam iron at Walmart. $20. I use tap water in it and it just keeps going and going. Nice and hot and plenty of steam. For $20 I'll just get another one when it wears out.

I just bought a new iron yesterday! I got a Hamilton Beach Durathon for $24....non-stick, longer cord, 1500 watt....so far it works great....will have to let you know on longevity, LOL.

My small quilting group was unhappy with the oliso's, too. It kept spitting out water and before long did not want to raise up?

I bought a new Rowenta and as soon as it goes out think I will buy the cheapest one from WallyWorld.

Blog Entries
    IMHO, if you can, buy your irons fromu Costco. Great return policy. I have reurned 3 Rowentas.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    what is HD? Harley Davison?

HD=Home Depot. You can only get it on line.

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I have had several Rowentas and IMHO they are all pieces of garbage. I decided that all the heavy irons just simply couldn't ALL be bad, so I bought a Shark...same thing! Now I use a re-furbed Rowenta as back-up but I use a WM $5 Black & Decker. Not heavy, but no problems either!
    My next try will be the Olisa...
    I completely agree. DH bought me a Rowenta (he thought he was doing such a thoughtful thing & I did appreciate the thought) & it was a piece of junk. I hated it! I have a cheap Black & Decker that I got at Wal-Mart & that's what I'll get again.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta steam generating system - approx. 10 years. LOVE IT. Never spits 'cause all the water is in the tank. The on/off switch went out and a friend at church repaired it. Makes lots of steam. While it was broken I bought a $6 one from WalMart. Works fine but light weight. I like a heavy iron.
    TwandasMom

I just purchased a Dry Iron from the Vermont Store. $29.95 Smooth sole plate. I use water bottle not steam.
    Kelly