Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite needle type and size for piecing? >

Favorite needle type and size for piecing?

Favorite needle type and size for piecing?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 PM

I had been using Organ 90/14 with Connecting Threads Essential thread for a couple of years. Works just fine. Then I switched to a topstitch Superior titanium needle (100/16) to quilt my last quilt with Aurofil . I fell in love with both, and kept the 16 needle in, just because I didn't want to go to the bother of switching back. However, I don't see the need to go with the pricier needles on most of what I do. Just went to the 16 because I needed to quilt a very special quilt and thought I'd splurge. (It was worth it.)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:40 AM

I like topstitch needles from Superior. I have a variety of sizes. I usually piece with an 11 or 12 and quilt with a 14. These needles are titanium and last a long time. I am careful not to sew over pins.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:50 AM

I piece with a size 70/11 using either topstitch, microtx or quilting needle and either Aurifil 50 wt or Superior Threads Bottom Line (60wt). When I switched to the finer threads and thinner needles That improved my ability to get a scant quarter inch seam.

When quilting I use either a topstitch 90/14 or 100/16 (even if I’m using 100wt thread) or sometimes an Organ anti-glue 75/11. Those types and sizes just seem to work best for all my machines when Fmq.

Rob
Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM
mac

My Janome asks for Janome needles only. However, I found out that Organ is the company that makes the Janome needles. You can buy Organ needles really cheaply. They are sharp and do a very good job for piecing and quilting. If you know a lot of quilters you can buy them by the bulk and share the cost. It is much better than waiting for a coupon for JoAnn's, which is how I used to by my needles.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Banned

Microtex is just the Schmetz designation for sharp.
Mike, universal needles were invented to be an in-between for sharps and ball points. Not quite ball pointed but not quite sharp either. In my opinion that makes them universally good for nothing. You'll see an improvement in your sewing by using a true sharp needle(designated microtex, sharp, topstitch, etc.) for wovens and ball point needles for knits.

Cari