Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite QS in New England - Need Advice >

Favorite QS in New England - Need Advice

Favorite QS in New England - Need Advice

Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 AM

I second (or third) Keepsake Quilting. Hope you have your lodging reservations all set, that is the busiest week of the year!!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
http://www.vermontshophop.com/ Here's a list of shops in Vermont - come visit ME at A Quilter's Garden in Montpelier, Vermont - I work on Thursdays. Otherwise, visit Mad River Quilting in Waitsfield. There aren't any shops in Rutland or St. Johnsbury. If you have a reason to travel thru Chester, VT the shop there is a MUST stop location.
I LOVE the shop in Waitsfield. Actually, I just love Waitsfield altogether. They also have a great farmer's market, way fun and filling, live music and crafts.

If you are drivng up near the coast, Portsmouth NH is a wonderful town to visit and their small shop is simply packed with Kaffe Fassett fabrics and books. If you are inland, The Red Barn on rt 125 off Rt 495 in Merrimack MA has the best selection of Asian prints around (and that includes Keepsake).

I hope you get to enjoy the New England food too - lobster, steamers, clamcakes... Yum!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Love the strange terms you used. What is leaf peeping please. No help for shops as I live in UK.
HAH I have lived in New England almost all my life and I never heard it until maybe ten years ago. We used to drive aimlessly around the mountains looking at fall foliage, going on the dirt road through the gaps and crests and whatever that close in the winter... now we have to peep. And their are a lot of signs to direct you in case you can't find the leaves.
LOL

Do take time to stop at the roadside stands for fresh apples and apple cider which is heavenly. Look for fresh made cheese of all kinds in Vermont and don't forget maple syrup products.
And just smell the fall air!!! there is nothing like the scent of the leaves, and take a bit of time to enjoy the crunch and shuffle of walking through them.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM

Yes, I agree about the apples!! It's supposed to be a bumper crop this year, and a very sweet one at that. Remember, too, that New Hampshire has no sales tax.

Shop hopping while leaf peeping...sounds like something the tree frogs would enjoy!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 AM

OMG! You are all so wonderful and full of great places to make this trip so special. I have been reading every one's suggestions to hubbie so he can add to the route. Even tho Keepsake is not on the original route, we are going there. I get their catalog and LOVE it! We fly to Boston tomorrow and start the driving. I will post along the way so you can enjoy our stops. THANK YOU all so MUCH!

Last edited by lfstamper; 09-29-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Banned

I believe there is a good shop in Chester vt
Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 AM

Default Thursday

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
http://www.vermontshophop.com/ Here's a list of shops in Vermont - come visit ME at A Quilter's Garden in Montpelier, Vermont - I work on Thursdays. Otherwise, visit Mad River Quilting in Waitsfield. There aren't any shops in Rutland or St. Johnsbury. If you have a reason to travel thru Chester, VT the shop there is a MUST stop location.
We won't be there on Thursday but we will check out Mad River hopefully.

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 AM

Knights quilt shop was closed on Tuesday so we did not get to go there. The drive was beautiful.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM

You couldn't ask for a better week weather wise! Above normal temps, sunny skies, and one of the best foliage displays in years!! Gotta love autumn in New England!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Today we went to Cottonweeds in Freeport. Very nice shop with all kinds of patterns, kits and fabric. Leaves are beautiful as well.