Favorite Starch

Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I mix my own:
1 cup Sta Flo Concentrate
1 cup water
1 cup Fabreeze
Put in spray bottle and starch away.
I know this is not a new post, but I just ran across it and have a couple of questions:

I love Fabreeze...but where or what type would you buy to get a cup of it? I see it in the cans, but what are you using to 'pour' it out? Is there a pump style bottle? Or an aroma-therapy type bottle? Refill of some sort? Hmmm...

How long does it stay good? I've read the starch you mix by hand needs to be used within 2 days or it sours. True? That's alot of mixing starch as I don't think I could use this quantity in that time frame - at least not normally (or maybe I don't quilt fast enough?)

I'd really like to try this starch recipe.

Thanks!
Debbie in Austin
Old 12-17-2010, 05:42 AM

I can not find Faultless, Sta Flo or Niagara liquid starch in Canada. I have checked the large grocery chains (Loblaws, Sobey's and Zehr's as well as Canadian Tire, Zellers and Wal-Mart)and no one carries it. I can find spray starch (Easy On) in the grocery store near the army base at Base Borden. I guess those poor soldiers have to press their dress uniforms but that's the only place and kind I can find. My husband has to take a trip to the States in January and I told him I want him to bring me back starch. I hope airport security doesn't think he has some new secret ingredient for a terrorist attack.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Originally Posted by featherweight
I mix my own:
1 cup Sta Flo Concentrate
1 cup water
1 cup Fabreeze
Put in spray bottle and starch away.
I know this is not a new post, but I just ran across it and have a couple of questions:

I love Fabreeze...but where or what type would you buy to get a cup of it? I see it in the cans, but what are you using to 'pour' it out? Is there a pump style bottle? Or an aroma-therapy type bottle? Refill of some sort? Hmmm...

How long does it stay good? I've read the starch you mix by hand needs to be used within 2 days or it sours. True? That's alot of mixing starch as I don't think I could use this quantity in that time frame - at least not normally (or maybe I don't quilt fast enough?)

I'd really like to try this starch recipe.

Thanks!
Debbie in Austin
Debbie, I buy a spray bottle of Fabric Freshener at the Dollar Tree. Fabreeze is a fabric freshener that comes in a spray bottle. I have never seen it any other way. I have had mine mixed up for several months and this does not spoil. The startch does not spoil and neither does the Fabreeze so why would the mixture spoil? The one they make with cornstartch is the one they say spoils.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM

Thx for these tips! Quilting 20yrs and never used spray starch, but now stepping up my game, so to speak and grateful for all the tips here. Especially love the $$ saving tips b/c quilting and sewing should be accessible to everyone! I started on a basic Singer mechanical (actually 3 different ones) and remnants from my job at JoAnns. Now I can afford more and have a huge stash including Balis and other pricey fabrics, have several new machines, but I don't accept that one has to have a TOL machine and all the fancy notions in order to quilt.