Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Favorite Thread for Sewing Binding

Favorite Thread for Sewing Binding

When you hand stitch the binding onto your quilt, what is your favorite thread (type and weight) to use?

I have used Gutermann's, but am thinking about using Aurifil 40 wt. I also like to use 100% cotton.
    Michelle

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I use a matching thread such as Mettler, Connecting Threads Essential, or other 100% cotton 50 wt.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Whatever I have that matches the binding color. If I have nothing, usually Gutermans from Joanne's.

I use a hand quilting thread, I like Coats and Clark best so far

Blog Entries
    i use a matching thread. since i have so many of connecting threads colors, it's easy to find one that works
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I use Bottom Line for almost everything now. Hand piecing, binding, applique, and I've even switched to it for piecing. It sinks into the fabric beautifully, which is great for applique, hand piecing, and binding.

Blog Entries
    I love bottom line too, and if I have to use something else, I prefer Mettler thread as its nice and silky and I can get away with a longer thread and not have any tangles
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I use Bottom Line for almost everything now. Hand piecing, binding, applique, and I've even switched to it for piecing. It sinks into the fabric beautifully, which is great for applique, hand piecing, and binding.
    I always sew the binding down with it. And, I agree - it's a perfect applique thread.
    I used to use it for handpiecing too, but have switched to Mettler cotton embroidery 60 wt.
    My Jems won't take it as a top thread, so then I use Aurifil 50wt. for machine piecing

Another option is Superior's Masterpiece thread. I use it for piecing all the time. Their So Fine 40 wt would also work well.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Someone on the board mentioned using silk thread and now I am addicted to it. It slides through the fabric so easily and is barely noticeable (I match colors). I wanted ONE type of thread to use for needle turn appliqué and for hand stitching the bindings and this is it. I have bought it at Joanne's but their color selection is very limited in silks so I am looking for an online source.

Banned
    I use hand quilting thread, single strand, if I have the right color. If I don't have the color, I use 100% cotton, double strand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I use a matching thread such as Mettler, Connecting Threads Essential, or other 100% cotton 50 wt.

Jan in VA
    Ditto.. like to use matching thread - and I use the same brands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Someone on the board mentioned using silk thread and now I am addicted to it. It slides through the fabric so easily and is barely noticeable (I match colors). I wanted ONE type of thread to use for needle turn appliqué and for hand stitching the bindings and this is it. I have bought it at Joanne's but their color selection is very limited in silks so I am looking for an online source.
    I used to use silk thread for applique, but as you said, selection is limited and it can get quite spendy, especially when you're buying a whole spool for a yard or two of applique. When I switched to Bottom Line, I bought a couple of Super Bobs in assorted colors, which gives me plenty of thread in lots of colors. And I can't tell the difference between silk and Bottom Line when hand-stitching.

Name:  SuperBob2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  14.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Whatever I have that matches the binding color. If I have nothing, usually Gutermans from Joanne's.
    Me, too. Tho I always dither about whether to match the binding or the backing. I usually go with the binding.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

I use hand quilting thread too!!