Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite tutorial/method for designing your own applique/paper piecing/block? >

Favorite tutorial/method for designing your own applique/paper piecing/block?

Favorite tutorial/method for designing your own applique/paper piecing/block?

Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 PM

Default Favorite tutorial/method for designing your own applique/paper piecing/block?

Hello! I saw a video by Sugaridoo yesterday where she made a quilt with paper pieced blocks of her mom's favorite things (tea, flowers, etc) for her birthday. I thought it would be cool to make a quilt for my parents anniversary with things that they both enjoy (Can-am Spyder, Starbucks, Bison in Yellowstone) but I'm not sure what the best way to get from a picture online of those things to an actual quilt block with that. Would you paper piece? Use fusible web applique? Do you have a favorite youtube tutorial on it?

I was thinking I'd make a fairly straight forward log cabin pattern and just put one special block in each corner of the border.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:06 PM

I use Electric Quilt, but I can't imagine designing and then paper-piecing a block of a Can-am Spyder. That would be a really complicated block with some super tiny pieces. Does the Spyder have a logo that you could use instead? Like a Mercedes logo instead of a car?
There are FB groups and websites that might have a paper-pieced bison you could use, I googled and found several. Another option would be to applique a silhouette of a bison, you could probably applique a Starbucks logo also.

Last edited by Peckish; 12-30-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I use Electric Quilt, but I can't imagine designing and then paper-piecing a block of a Can-am Spyder. That would be a really complicated block with some super tiny pieces. Does the Spyder have a logo that you could use instead? Like a Mercedes logo instead of a car?
There are FB groups and websites that might have a paper-pieced bison you could use, I googled and found several. Another option would be to applique a silhouette of a bison, you could probably applique a Starbucks logo also.
The spyder definitely makes me the most nervous but I saw some appliqued motorcycles so I thought it might be similar? It just might have to not have as many of the details. The bison and starbucks cup seem like I could find them online with enough googling. I'm not totally sure what to do once I find a good picture though. I don't have Electric Quilt
Old 12-31-2020, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I do like the idea of the bison silhouette, that would make it much easier!