Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Feathers Over Done? >
  • Are Feathers Over Done?

• Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 AM

There could not be enough feather for me. I really like them.
    Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    Originally Posted by k3n
    Feathers are not new!!! Ppl have been handquilting feathers for centuries - the earliest I found so far is pre-1799, no pics available but the description says quilted with feather motifs - http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=47-7B-C1B
    Why does everyone insist that they're a 'new' fad? :shock:
    That's a lot of passion over feather history you have there. I missed it if anyone claimed they were new, but I personally did claim that they are popular, and I don't think that's far from the truth. ;)

I think this group tends to make these threads into debates because we have a bunch of rebellious artistic quilters here! ;) That's not such a bad thing. But I seriously don't get the controversy. LOL* One person basically started a thread to say they aren't such a big fan of feathers and dense quilting. It's like somebody saying "I really don't like yellow" and then a fight ensueing between those who support the color yellow and those who don't. It's interesting to hear different opinions...but you know what they say. Opinions are like another part of our anatomy that we all have in common...but I will refrain from being too vulgar. LOL*** ;)
    I don't make any apologies for being passionate about quilting or checking my facts before posting... :-)

And personally I find the trad quilters more 'rebellious' than the art quilters - we mostly started in the traditional and have developed into the art so can see the beauty in both.

PS I just checked out your blog and your FMQ is beautiful - feathers and all. :D
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Oh my goodness. I'm fairly new to the Board so I've never heard such ugly remarks.

I like feathers! I don't like "over-quilting". Does this mean that I don't want you to make yourself happy? Of course not! Everyone is entitled to voice their thoughts and no one should get upset about it.

My gosh - should we all do Log Cabins? Maybe no one should ever do a Log Cabin again.

Let's not argue -- I enjoy the Board simply because there are so many different types of quilters and just as many opinions. Be Nice please.
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM

I also agree. I love the look of feathers but I too see too many quilts with feathers in them.
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM

I think all feathers and quilting is beautiful-BUT- not overdone,
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 AM

i think it is a personal feeling about any quilting done on a quilt, there fore you will get all kinds of answers
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Love feathers!!!!
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM

I think there are so many strong opinions because quilters are passionate people. Passion isn't always sweet, it can be ignited. We love making quilts, they are personal to us so we are going to have strong feelings about them. But, we can differ in our opinions and remain friends. I fell in love with feathers when I first came to this board, then with other techniques as I saw them used on quilts. I fall in love with a new quilt or several everyday and the quilting on them. I personally am amazed at how many ways a feather can be done. I also like the quilting to compliment the quilt. Can I have it both ways? Of course.
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Personally I have never intended my remarks to be offensive or hurtful to anyone. I hope they are not perceived as such. I like discussion and exchange of views - it's how I learn and evolve.
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Personally I have never intended my remarks to be offensive or hurtful to anyone. I hope they are not perceived as such. I like discussion and exchange of views - it's how I learn and evolve.
    I agree, I love these threads!