Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM

I agree, bashing wasnt the best "word" but I wasnt sure what else to call it. Anyway, some like dense quilting, some dont...Pretty simple. Like I also said, quilt what you like and the way you want. Its all a matter of preference. And I agree nuff said :)

Originally Posted by carolynjo
I have now read nearly all the "feather" comments and I believe the word "bashing" is a bit strong. I haven't seen any comments that I would call bashing or am I just dense. I am sure that some people will take offense at the idea that not all of us like feathers, but we are entitled to our opinions, too. 'Nuf said.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Ditto

Originally Posted by leatheflea
To much of anything is a bad thing. But I like feathers, and I like a dense quilt. But when quilting for someone as a gift I normally go with a looser pattern. Most people like the fluffy.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I agree. But I also like machine quilting that is less dense, too.
Me too! Sometimes the quilting overwhelms the piecing or quilt pattern.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM

If every single quilt had either feathers or stitch in the ditch, I would have nothing to complain about.

Believe me, back in 'the day' it was not unusual for everybody to do the quilting in the same way. Just like in Hawaii where ALL the quilts were echo stitched. You like variety. That particular client probably asked for feathers. I would. My feathers still suck.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Loose quilting gets my vote too. A bed quilt is more for warmth than art, though they should complement each other. Over quilting may add to weight, but reduces the warmth. Wall art is another story, and is often designed to showcase the quilting, as much, or more, than the piecing.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 PM

i have to agree also. this is why i do my own quilting. some times i think the quilt gets lost in too much quilting. with that said, i think it is up to the person getting the quilt done that must decide. that is what is nice about this board, we are allowed our opinions with out getting trouble. quilt on my friends, quilt on.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM

I have to put in my two cents worth as well. I don't care to sleep under a quilt that feels like a piece of cardboard. There really is a fine line between enough and not enough. I have found myself looking at quilts and saying they could of done more quilting. So I quess I am not sure myself what is enough and what is to much.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM

I don't think the question is whether to add feathers or not to add feathers, but how many, where, and when? There are many different kinds of feathers and they can definitely enhance many quilt patterns.

I would like to think that I am (becoming) a master of many styles, techniques, and ideas. It is most ideal if the piecer is able to articulate what his or her preferences are on the given quilt. I like to say to people that "there is not just one right answer."
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I love feathers!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by carolynjo
Well, I'm going to "have to" weigh in again; the comments were not mean-spirited at all, IMHO. I believe the opinions expressed on the board were merely our own opinions, which we are allowed to make. I did not read anyone's comments that denigrated anyone's work; merely that we preferred less quilting on quilt tops. I hope I haven't misread the comments.
You must have missed some comments, specific quilts were targeted and that IS rude and hurtful.
I guess I missed them too then, because I don't recall anyone mentioning another persons quilt specifically. And why is it rude for someone to say they think to much quilting makes it look like it would stand up on its own? This is what causes hard feelings, she was just expressing her opinion. Stop instigating please!!