featherweight221

Old 07-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your FW!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Congrats on your FW!
I got my copy of David McCallum's book at lunchtime today - "you will need some Singer Motor lube, or in a real pinch, petroeum jelly will do. With the singer lube, you push the tubes tip into the cups end (there are two on the motor) and squeeze, with moderation until it doesn't take any more. The only exception is if you know the machine has not been used in years, in which case put one drop of oil in and then put in the lubricant. From then on, only use the lubricant" I can tell you that the book has excellent diagrams, and I feel reasonably confident now that I will be able to maintain my 'new' Featherweight, so I reccommend it - AND he signed it for me too!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I have the white/celery color Featherweight and the motor does not take lube. It's a sealed motor. Always check.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That link from Billy isn't working. He said he thinks they aren't accepting any new members right now :(
Okay what link did you click on? If you go to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm you are golden!!

Everyone is welcome no matter what time of day it is!!

Now about you grease if you can find the Singer grease use it on the motor if not you can find Tri Flow Synthetic grease and use it instead.

Here is the link for the grease:

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/syn...low-23004.aspx

Billy
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 AM

I have a 1936 221. I have NEVER lubed the motor. I oil the machine. I got it from my grandmother around 1978. I use it constantly. She may have lubed it before I got it. Last year the machine started giving me "shock therapy". Turned out that the paper insulation had finally given out from - as the pro told me - "excess lubricant compromising the structure of the insulation." I got a new/old motor installed. After over 30 years of use - I'm thinking I'm not going to do it. Have a pro look at it every five years or so. If it needs it - they'll do it! I'm going to try to scan my manual's page about this - which says to do it every 6 months. I'll post it in Pictures if I can with the title 221 - To Lubricate the Motor
Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the white/celery color Featherweight and the motor does not take lube. It's a sealed motor. Always check.
That was interesting, I only got the book at lunchtime today, and have read all about putting lube in the motor, and then you said not to with white Featherweights (which is what mine is). Thank you, I actually went to look at the motor, and you are right - no place to put the lube. Now I am wondering what else in the book is no good for my little albino?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Love the albino thing. Teehee. Let's face it - they are all different, as we are, and we'll all do whatever it takes to keep "our babies" going! You can get manuals for all the machines. Whether you believe them or not is up to you!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 PM

all the suggestions have been great. thank you. I am going to send for the book.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
That was interesting, I only got the book at lunchtime today, and have read all about putting lube in the motor, and then you said not to with white Featherweights (which is what mine is). Thank you, I actually went to look at the motor, and you are right - no place to put the lube. Now I am wondering what else in the book is no good for my little albino?
The white FW's were the base model so it doesnt surprise me at all about the motors not having lube ports on them. But it does raise the question of how you go about maintaining them.

Billy
Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Mine came with a little booklet with clear photos of where to oil it. You can probably get that info on line.