Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed Dogs up or down?? >

Feed Dogs up or down??

Feed Dogs up or down??

Old 04-30-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Feed Dogs up or down??

I've always dropped the feed dogs when FMQ, but today I listened to a well known quilter and she does not drop the feed dogs. She also recommends using the Supreme Slider, so if feed dogs are up wouldn't that chew into the slider? What about feed dogs up and stitch length very low?
Old 04-30-2020, 05:02 PM

I leave my feed dogs up and set the stitch length at 0. I have a Janome and it will not make a good stitch at any length if the dogs are down. With the stitch set at 0 the feed dogs don't move a lot and I get a good solid stitch. I also have a slider and the feed dogs haven't done any damage that I have noticed, but then I don't use it all the time.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:07 PM

Thank you Sewing Senior! I have also stitched with feed dogs down and 0 stitch length. It worked fine. I was listening to Leah Day and just thought it odd she didn't mention the stitch length.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I put my feed dogs down for FMQ. It helps the sandwich slide better and I don’t need a supreme slider. Do what works for you.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:52 AM

I have a Juki 2010 and I get the best results with my feed dogs up and the stitch length at 0, I don't use any kind of special surface.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:51 AM

I used to FMQ with a Viking Rose and found that having the feed dogs up gave me a little better control overall.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:06 AM

I just push a button on my Janome and it sets the machine to free motion quilting, which is 0 stitch length and feed dogs down. Works fine for me.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:50 AM

I have always put my feed dogs down. Now I will have to rethink this.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

The reason to put the feed dogs down is to reduce wear and tear on the mechanics of the machine. You don't need the feed dogs when FMQ so why have them working.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:17 PM
mkc

I do recall seeing Leah Day make that recommendation. Her claim was that she thought it made a difference in thread tensions.

I've tried it and found it made no difference on my machine, and that the feed dogs up did damage the slider. I see no reason to leave them up since their purpose is to move the fabric and they have nothing to do with thread tension. They just get in the way when FMQ.

Even with the feed dogs down, I use a slider (actually, a $10 oven liner rather than the pricey Supreme Slider). I tape it down with painters' tape and it definitely helps reduce drag.

Last edited by mkc; 05-01-2020 at 02:20 PM.